Doctor insights on:
Can You Die From Underactive Thyroid
The thyroid gland is an endocrine organ located in the front part of the neck. Its role is to make thyroid hormones, which control the way cells use energy. Hyperthyroidism results when the thyroid gland is overactive and too much thyroid hormone is produced, which speeds up metabolism. This results in weight loss, a quick heartbeat, sweating, nervousness, ...Read more
Many: Some common symptoms are: fatigue, sensitive to cold, dry skin, constipation, hoarse voice, weight gain, high cholesterol, muscle ache/weakness, joint pain, heavy periods, brittle nails/hair, depression. Many other conditions can share these symptoms so if you suspect it, get a thyroid blood test. ...Read more
Tests and Symptoms: Symptoms of low thyroid function are commonly fatigue, weight gain, heavy periods (females), dry skin, hair thinning and loss, depression and constipation. Tsh, free T3 (liothyronine) and free T4 (if TSH is borderline) as well as some other older tests like morning baseline temperature and tendon reflex testing can all detect low thyroid function. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Hypothyroidism (Adult) (Definition)
Hypothyroidism is a condition where the thyroid gland does not secrete enough of the thyroid hormones. Symptoms include cold intolerance, constipation, and fatigue. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can you die from a thyroid problem?
- Can you die from thyroid disease?
- Can you lose weight with an underactive thyroid?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can a underactive thyroid make you infertile?
- Can you die from syphilis?
- Can you die from ibuprofen?
- Can you die from psoriasis?
- Can you die from an underactive thyroid?