Doctor insights on:
Can You Die From Sickle Cell Anemia
Sickle cell disease: There have only been a couple of studies examining life expectancy in patients with sickle cell disease. One study i know of found a median age at death of 42 for men and 48 for women with sickle cell disease. However, there are many variables impacting prognosis and survival from one patient to the next. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
This is a genetic disorder in which hemoglobin is abnormally made., more common in people of african descent. This abnormality causes red blood cells to become stiff and fall apart. This can cause very specific symptoms: pain, pneumonias, strokes, spleen problems, and many other problems. Some have mild disease, some ...Read more
More info needed: Patients with sickle cell anemia have greater tendency for severe anemia and infection. Usually children have more difficulties. Sometimes frequent transfusion is needed to assist in crises, or to suppress sickle hemoglobin and decrease sickling issues which can be very painful. Hydroxyurea is used to help symptoms and to increase fetal hemoglobin, vaccinations, and antibiotics help. See MD. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can you die from sickle cell trait?
- How can you get sickle cell anemia?
- Can you develop sickle cell anemia as an adult?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can you die from pernicious anemia?
- Can you die from squamous cell carcinoma?
- Can you die from basal cell carcinoma?
- Can you die of anemia?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free