Doctor insights on:
Can You Catch Viral Pneumonia A Second Time
Maybe: Bacterial pneumonia should be treated with antibiotics, it is possible that the infection could spontaneously resolve without treatment as it did sometimes in the pre antibiotic era. This is not something one should risk as bacterial pneumonia can be severe even life threatening and is best treated with antibiotics. There are no antibiotics for viral pneumonia ( except flu) . Both need support. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Usually Resolves: A patient with good general health and a normal immune system will usually recover from a viral pneumonia after it runs its course. Occasionally a bacteria will come in and trigger a secondary infection which prolongs the illness & requires extra rx.If pneumonia is part of a more extensive viral illness, affecting other tissue systems, other problems may dominate the recovery process. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Not too long: It's often hard to tell if a pneumonia is viral, but even if bacterial (and treated), patients are usually improving after a week. If you have a lot of other diseases, especially lung disease, it may take a little longer. Coughing may take a few weeks to ckear up entirely. ...Read more
No specific time: Our immune system fights viruses. The stronger your immune system is, the shorter time it will take for you to fight it off and get better. If you have more problems and a weaker immune system, it will be longer. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can viral pneumonia give you a rash?
- Can you get shingles a second time?
- Can second hand smoke make you fail a drug test?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can you have pneumonia without a cough?
- Can you have more than one hemorrhoid at a time?
- Can you tell me the recovery time for a kidney stent operation?
- Can you catch hiv from a toilet seat?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free