Doctor insights on:
Can Teenagers Develop Hashimotos Disease
Im only a teenager and I have hashimotos thyroid disease. My big concern is that im loosing a lot of hair.
Is hashimoto's a common disease or does it occur only in very few ppl ? Do all ppl who have hypothyroid develop hashimoto's ?
Hashimoto's disease: Hashimoto's disease is an autoimmune condition in which your body makes antibiodies against your thyroid gland. This often produces inflammation, sometimes tenderness, and an overactive gland initially, but eventually the chronic inflammation leads to thyroid failure and the need to take thyroid hormone. ...Read more
Research: I can get you started. Most folks have the signs and symptoms of anyone with hyperthyroidism at the beginning. At some point these folks usually develope hypothyroidism and the signs and sympotms of that. Research the signs and symptoms of both hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. Hope that helps. ...Read more
Thyroid: I will try to be non-technical. Hashimotos is a type of thyroid condtition where the thryoid builds up anti-bodies and sort of attacks itself. Usually it starts out with the thyroid being very overactive. Tests are usually done to prove or disprove this and tumor. If this is the case, a thyroid blocker is used to reduce the production of thyroid hormone. Low thyroid usually follows later..... ...Read more
Direct and indirect: Hashimoto's disease is a common cause of underactive thyroid. Complications would include the often experienced symptoms & signs, such as low body temperature, weight gain or inability to lose weight, dry brittle nails and hair, constipation, depression, elevated lipids, fatigue, and lethargy. Since Hashimoto's is an auto-immune disorder, other auto-immune conditions may co-exist in same patient. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can you collect disability for autoimmune disease hashimoto s?
- Can hashimotos disease affect the kidney function?
- How can i lose weight if i have hashimotos disease?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can hashimotos disease affect the pituitary?
- Can smoking marijuana as a teenager cause you to develop panic attacks?
- Can you develop a lazy eye?
- Can lymes disease cause uti?
- Talk to a pediatrician online