Doctor insights on:
Can Someone Exercise With A Replacement Heart Valve
Yes: But consult your cardiologist.Get a more detailed answer ›
A valve is a structure that regulates the direction of flow. The heart is a special kind of pump. It moves blood by squeezing and relaxing. There are 4 chambers and each chamber has a valve. This keeps blood from moving backwards when the heart squeezes. When a chamber squeezes it lets the blood move forward but when the chamber is relaxed it prevents the blood from ...Read more
Approximately how long will a mosaic porcine heart valve in the mitral position last before needing replacement? I am 23 yrs old
No, some risks exist: Like any invasive surgical procedure there are risks: infection<2%, stroke < 1%, death<.5%; these numbers can vary depending on degree of co-existing illness in patient. Many of these procedures have been performed, you can obtain success data on a given physician. In every case, a risk/benefit calculation must be analyzed. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
If i'm having a heart valve replacement do I have the right to insist on a tissue valve or mechanical valve?
Heart valves: The mitral and aortic valves are the most often replaced valves, but sometimes the mitral valve can be repaired, but not the aortic valve. So probably the aortic is the most replaced. It is much less common that the pulmonary or tricuspid valve be replaced. ...Read more
In most cases: If the indication is clear and there are no major contraindications or concomitant diseases, age per se is not a reason to decline cardiac valvular surgery, especially at only 66 years of age. This is best left to the attending cardiologist and consulting cardiothoracic surgeon to discuss with the patient and family. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can someone live with a leaky heart valve?
- How long can a person live with a leaky heart valve my mom has one?
- Can someone survive with torn heart valve?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can you join the military with a bicuspid valve replacement?
- Can someone serve in the military with a heart transplant?
- How long can you live with a leaking heart valve without surgery?
- Can you drink alcohol with a leaky heart valve?
- Talk to a cardiologist online