Doctor insights on:
Can Rectal Cancer Spread To The Brain
Find a good team: Colorectal cancer with spread to the liver is a hotly debated and controversial topic. Multiple variables include - the location of the tumor, the symptoms it is producing, the location of the liver mets and their potentail for surgical removal. You need an experienced team that deals with this commonly (surgical and medical oncologists, maybe rad onc, as well). Good ct/pet is vital. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Cancer by definition is the growth in size and number in an unregulated manner of a cell line that has developed a mutation. The mutation is passed through the offspring which accumulate more and more mutations. The defining factor is that the cells act immortal as compared to normal cells that have a programmed lifespan. In the rectum this can occur in the cells that ...Read more
Yes, if early enuf: Like other cancers, rectal cancer has better prognosis (outlook) if diagnosed and treated at an earlier, rather than later stage. Very early cancers can be cured with burning the tissue. More advanced will likely need radiation/chemo/surgery in varying combinations and timing. Can be cured, but unfortunately, not always. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: People over age 50 with high-fat, low-fiber diet ("western') are at increased risk for developing polyps which can turn cancerous over time. Alcohol intake may be linked and patients with inflammatory bowel disease are also at a higher risk. Family history can increase the risk in patients too. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: Rectal cancer, like any cancer needs - 1) diagnosis, 2) staging and prognosis, 3) treatment. Early rectal cancer may be treated by surgery alone. More often a combination of chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery are required in a multi-disciplinary approach to treatment. Metastatic rectal cancer may depend more heavily on chemotherapy. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can radiation therapy still help me when my lung cancer has spread to the brain?
- How often does rectal cancer spread to the brain?
- Can brain cancer spread to other parts of the body?
- Can lung cancer spread to the brain?
- Life expectancy once lung cancer has spread to the brain
- What happens when lung cancer spreads to the brain?
- When ovarian cancer spreads to the lungs and brain
- Can thyroid cancer spread to your head or brain area?
- Talk to a oncologist online for free