Doctor insights on:
Can Lyme Disease Be Spread Through Anything Besides Ticks
YES: About half of those with lyme don't recall being bitten by a tick. There is strong evidence that borrelia burgdorferi, the lyme bacteria, can be spread by biting flies- see http://www.Nejm.Org/doi/full/10.1056/nejm199006143222415 many believe it can also be spread by mosquitoes, fleas & spiders, though this is unproven. Many feel it can be sexually transmitted & spread by moms to babies in utero. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Lyme is caused by borrelia burgdorferi. Acute symptoms can include bullseye rash, headaches, joint pain, fever, and flu like sx. Chronic symptoms can include fibromyalgia symptoms, nerve pain in extremities, mood swings, brain fog, heart problems. Lab diagnosis is not very reliable, and sometimes clinical ...Read more
No: A tick must be attached and really engorged before it transmit disease. ...Read more
What if you were bit on your head by a tick and could not see any ring or anything. How do u know if u got Lyme disease from it or not.
Could the red and white circles (bulls eye) around a tick bite mean anything other than Lyme disease?
Symptoms after bite: About half the time one will get a bulls-eye rash, a red ring surrounding the bite, appearing 3-30 days after the bite. This is a clear sign of lyme. Also, lyme usually causes flu-like symptoms like muscle aches, fever and headache within days of the bite. Be aware that ticks may carry other infections besides lyme, such as babesia, bartonella, ehrlichiosis and rocky mountain spotted fever. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can diseases be transferred through getting spit in your eye?
- Can pink eye be spread through your saliva?
- Can you get lyme disease without a tick bite?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What tropical diseases can be spread by close contact like kissing?
- Can hpv be spread through saliva?
- Can gonorrhea be spread through kissing?
- Is there anything that can be done to correct a curving spine besides surgery?
- Talk to a travel medicine specialist online for free