Doctor insights on:
Can Lockjaw Be Caused By Dental Infections
Infections are invasions of some other organism (fungus, bacteria, parasite) or viruses into places where they do not belong. For instance, we have normal gut bacteria that live within us without causing problems; however, when those penetrate the bowel wall and enter the bloodstream, ...Read more
Unlikely: Usually not. In our office we support the jaw joints so that this will prevent the jaws from locking. Furthermore, an oral surgeon is very efficient and fast at removing wisdom teeth safely. Hence, a short procedure time will also prevent lockjaw or any TMJ issues. ...Read moreGet help now ›
Possible: It is possible to have muscle or TMJ soreness for several weeks following extractions that would make it difficult to open your jaw. It is also possible that there could be infection. You need to go back to the person who removed your teeth for a follow up if this is happening. ...Read moreGet help now ›
It depends: I'm not sure what you are defining as lockjaw. If you mean that you can't open your mouth at all then obviously the surgeon can't get to the area and have the room to remove the teeth. If you have minimal opening then the same may apply. You need to see a surgeon and have them exam and determine if the teeth can be removed safely. ...Read moreGet help now ›
Let surgeon know: The surgeon should know about your condition before the appointment so that your condition can be addressed. ...Read moreGet help now ›
I read that your jaw or your teeth will die from lack of movement and i'll get lockjaw. Is that true?
FALSE: I'm not sure where you read that, but it's not true. You move your jaw everytime you eat. If you don't eat and drink you will die. Lockjaw is caused by the toxin of a specific bacteria and is rare in the United States. ...Read moreGet help now ›
Reteurn visit: Return to the dentist who removed the teeth for evaluation. ...Read moreGet help now ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can boils and other bacteri infections be caused by drug use as meth?
- Can a chronic yeast infection be caused by an uncircumcised sex partner?
- Can lockjaw be caused by chewing gum?
- Can sepsis be caused by fungal infection?
- Can a brain infection be caused by sinus infection?
- Can erythema multiforme be caused by viral or bacterial infection?
- Can tooth infection be caused by heart problems?
- Can a brain tumor be caused by brain infection?
- Talk to a dentist online for free