Doctor insights on:
Can Leg Amputations Ever Be Fatal
Serious problems: Serious conditions such as severe infections or very low blood flow to the leg can lead to amputation. Sometimes a serious infection can get into the bone causing osteomyelityis, and sometimes antibiotics do not always work. Low blood flow risks are increased in cigarette smokers and diabetics. Ischemic or infected tissues can sometimes cause serious troubles, negatively affecting other organs. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
All structures Cut: During a leg amputation, the surgeon starts by making a skin incision. This is designed to help in the closure of the stump. Next the muscle fascia is cut, followed by the muscles. The primary nerves, arteries and veins are then ligated ( tied off ). Next the bones are cut with a saw and the cut edges are filed down. Finally a flap of muscle tissue is used to cover the bone and the skin is closed. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can ascites be fatal?
- Can tonsillitis be fatal?
- Can anxiety be fatal?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can cramps in the legs be a sign of a blood clot?
- Can pseudotumor cerebri be fatal?
- Can a person get his leg amputated because of an infected splinter?
- Leg amputations can overweight people get a prosthetic limb
- Talk to a vascular surgeon online for free