Doctor insights on:
Can I Die From Urinary Retention If I Ignore It
Agonizing death: You will be in severe discomfort/pain with complete urinary retention unless your bladder is neurogenic and devoid of sensation. Retention due to prostatic obstruction, bladder stone or tumor can kill you secondary to uremia after kidneys stop filtering waste products from your body. Blood potassium can rise and cause cardiac arrest, progressive uremia can lead to coma. Catheterization is better! ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Catheterization as: An emergency. Then cause must be treated. Antibiotics if due to infection. Medication or surgery if due to prostatic obstruction. Urethrotomy or urethroplasty if due to urethral stricture. Enema or stool disimpaction if due to constipation. Intermittent catheterization for neurogenic bladder dysfunction. Bladder suspension for prolapse. Valve resection for posterior or anterior urethral valves. ...Read more
Many reasons: It may be related to anesthesia, medications, or the type of surgery you had. If the surgery was done near the bladder, you are more likely to have this problem. However, it is mostly temporary and will resolve. Occasionally, medication is used to help with this. You may also need to use the cathether until the problem resolves, either by intermittent self-catheterization or indwelling cath. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can i die from myocarditis if i ignore it?
- Can i die from rheumatic fever if i ignore it?
- Can i die from tinea if i ignore it?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can i die from swollen foot if i ignore it?
- Can i die from essential tremor if i ignore it?
- Can i die from lymphoma if i ignore it?
- Can i die from whiplash if i ignore it?
- Talk to a urologist online for free