Doctor insights on:
Can I Die From Rheumatic Fever If I Ignore It
Not anymore: Since the development of antibiotics (penicillin in particular) especially in developed countries with adequate access to medical care the number of patients that develop rheumatic fever has decreased dramatically as streptococcal throat infections are better diagnosed and treated. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Varies with study: One quoted number is 1 per each 200 untreated strep A infections. However, the data is hard to verify. In the third world, where access to care is limited and sore throats ignored, rheumatic heart disease is one of the more common causes of death. In the US, it pops up occasionally. ...Read more
They could be: Particularly the ones related to joint swelling and inflammation. It is not unusual for the "arthritic" symptoms to be severe enough to prevent you form bearing weight and even walking. Other symptoms occurring several months later on (chorea) may also be debilitating by producing uncontrolled involuntary movements. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Each person is diff: It depends on the symptoms one can have, we see it mostly in children and rare in the us, it occurs 2 to 4 weeks after a strep infection - can involve the joints, the skin, the heart, the brain. Fever is where it gets it name. It was said in skips the joints but can bite the heart and cause heart damage. The cure is to prevent it with treatment of the group a strept throat infections. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can i die from cervical spine stenosis if i ignore it?
- Can i die from varicocele if i ignore it?
- Can i die from doxylamine overdose if i ignore it?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can i die from uterine prolapse if i ignore it?
- Can i die from breast fibroadenoma if i ignore it?
- Can i die from kidney stones if i ignore it?
- Can i die from parotitis if i ignore it?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free