Doctor insights on:
Can I Die From Rheumatic Fever If I Ignore It
Each person is diff: It depends on the symptoms one can have, we see it mostly in children and rare in the us, it occurs 2 to 4 weeks after a strep infection - can involve the joints, the skin, the heart, the brain. Fever is where it gets it name. It was said in skips the joints but can bite the heart and cause heart damage. The cure is to prevent it with treatment of the group a strept throat infections. ...Read more
20 million: Worldwide, it is estimated that as many as twenty million people (mostly children aged 5-15) develop rheumatic fever each year; most of these cases occur in developing countries. In the United States, it is estimated that there may be as few as 2 cases per 100, 000 people each year which equals about 6000 cases. ...Read more
Not anymore: Since the development of antibiotics (penicillin in particular) especially in developed countries with adequate access to medical care the number of patients that develop rheumatic fever has decreased dramatically as streptococcal throat infections are better diagnosed and treated. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
They could be: Particularly the ones related to joint swelling and inflammation. It is not unusual for the "arthritic" symptoms to be severe enough to prevent you form bearing weight and even walking. Other symptoms occurring several months later on (chorea) may also be debilitating by producing uncontrolled involuntary movements. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can i die from myocarditis if i ignore it?
- Can i die from tinea if i ignore it?
- Can i die from cervical cancer if i ignore it?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can i die from essential tremor if i ignore it?
- Can i die from lymphoma if i ignore it?
- Can i die from whiplash if i ignore it?
- Can i die from toxic megacolon if i ignore it?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free