Doctor insights on:
Can I Catch Rabies By Breathing In The Virus
Rabies Transmission: Rabies is spread by infected saliva that enters the body through a bite or broken skin by animals such as dogs, bats, foxes or skunks. Dog transmission is rare in the us due to animal vaccination. Very rarely, rabies has been transmitted without an actual bite. This is believed to be caused by infected saliva that has gotten into the air, usually in bat caves. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Rabies is an infectious disease caused by a virus. The most common carrier in the U.S. is infected bats. Symptoms of rabies include an initial flu-like illness followed by increasing paralysis, agitation, and confusion. The classic drooling symptom is due to an inability ...Read more
None: None.Get a more detailed answer ›
Rabid seagull?: It is VERY unlikely that you could get rabies from a bird. Firstly, most small animals and rodents who are bitten by a rabid predator are usually killed. Secondly, transmission from a small animal with rabies would be via the saliva (seagulls can't really bite). Bats (although technically not a bird) on the other hand, can transmit rabies virus to humans. ...Read more
See below: The virus in nonifectious when it dries out & exposed to sunlight. Many types of rabies virus exist (raccoons, skunks, foxes, coyotes, bats) and are associated with a particular animal. Typically, the time from exposure to the virus until clinical sxs appear (aka incubation period) ranges from 1-3 months (sometimes days-years). Once clinical signs of rabies appear, the disease is usually fatal. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What can i do if my breathing feels restricted in the third trimester?
- Can you get rabies by being in the same room with a rabid animal work for vet?
- Veins in the breasts
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How can i stop having a blocked nose when i wake up in the morning?
- What can be the cause for pain in my right side abdomen and burning with i pee?
- How can i tell if the stitches in my finger are getting infected?
- Can a high ige level in the blood be an indicator that i have cancer?
- Talk to a pediatrician online