Doctor insights on:
Can Hyperthyroidism Cause Weight Gain
Hyperthyroidism and weight gain, can a low TSH level cause weight gain? And how would menopause effect TSH level?
No: Rarely hyperthyroidism manifested by a low TSH and elevated thyroid hormones can cause increased hunger leading to weight gain. Most hyperthyroids lose (muscle) weight. Menopause has no effect on TSH levels, but as we age hypothyroidism with increased TSH becomes more likely. 20% of women on medicare have elevated TSH and have frank or subclinical hypothyroidism. ...Read more
Many factors: There are several reasons for weight gain. It can be as simple as eating too many calories, or eating the wrong calories, or not getting enough exercise. You will gain weight when you take in more calories than your body burns each day. There are also medical conditions and hormone imbalances which cause weight gain, and medications with side effects of weight gain. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
In some women: Progesterone iud's can cause weight gain and also copper iud's. The best way to prevent weight gain is to eat 6 equal healthy meals with 6 servings of fresh vegetables and one apple each day, moderate exercise through the day ( try pretend jump roping for 1 minute at a time or more up to 60 minutes in 24 hours, sleep 7-8 hours, and manage stress skillfully. Added zinc might help with cu iud. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can iron deficiency cause weight gain?
- Can severe ovarian cysts or enlarged uterus cause weight gain?
- Can low iron levels cause weight gain?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can eating ice cause weight gain?
- Can rheumatoid arthritis cause rapid weight gain?
- Can cancer cause weight gain?
- Can allergy shots cause weight gain?
- How much weight gain can an ovarian cyst cause?