Doctor insights on:
Can Having A Screw In Your Bone Make It Weaker
Bone is a living growing tissue made mostly of collagen (protein that provides soft framework) & the mineral calcium phosphate that adds strength & hardens the framework. Two types of bone are found in the body; cortical (dense compact outer layer) & trabecular (makes up inner layer, ...Read more
Rigid fixation: Not all fractures need fixation with plates and screws. Generally, plates and screws are necessary if a fracture is badly displaced (out of position) and if not fixed with a plate and screws, the fracture still may heal but it may heal in a position that affects the function of the limb or joint. Also, they are often needed to fix fractures involving joint surfaces. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
"Forever": The hardware used to repair bone is usually stainless steel or a titanium alloy. It can last for one’s lifetime. There is one caveat, if a fracture does not heal then the screws, plates, rods, etc., used in fracture fixation can fail, that is, break. Also if the fracture does not heal screws or wires can start to back out and cause some problems that could make it necessary to remove them. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: Are removal or orthopedic fixation devices (eg. Screws/plates), the bones remodel and fill in the defects left by the hardware. ...Read more
Had lisfranc fusion 10 months ago. One screw is cutting into neighboring bone. Going to ask for it to be removed. How are they typically removed?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What does it mean if i have a metallic taste in your mouth?
- How can you tell if you have a cut in your mouth or herpes?
- If you have white cells in your vaginal discharge does it mean a std is present
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can you get a knot in your deltoid muscle how do you get rid of it?
- What does it mean when you have a trace of non hemolyzed blood in your urine?
- What does it mean when you have a wheezing in your chest when you sleep?
- What does it mean to have a dot of blood in your eye?
- What if it feels like you have a heartbeat in your stomach?