Doctor insights on:
Depends: Usually if it's stainless steel, it'll be ok, but if it's a pewter or lead container, then i would avoid eating tose foods. I don't think that this is much of an issue in this day and age, but heating foods in the microwave with saran wrap over them can put toxins in the food. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
What is the metal?: Although it is not food poisoning - if one had a spoon made of lead or another toxic metal - that may adversely affect health. ...Read more
Can cooking food from a packet that has fallen on the floor cause food poisoning if cooked on low heat? If you handle the food after touching packet?
Unlikely: Of course it depends somewhat on the floor it falls on. Cleaning off food that has fallen and then cooking it should protect against food poisoning but then there are some floor you can eat off and some that you would not want to. Evaluate the floor, clean the food and then cook it thoroughly and you should be fine. Otherwise, maybe you need to discard it. ...Read more
Microwave: Don't heat plastic containers in the oven as they can melt ruining the food and creating a fire risk. Most containers are microwave safe, but check the label. ...Read more
It's probably safe to leave food in takeout containers: The key is to store food in a shallow container that can be sealed when it's cooled. These practices help keep bacteria out. Here's another safety tip: Don't let prepared food sit out — in your car or on the counter — for more than two hours. If you’re someplace hot (more than 90 F or 32 C) reduce that time to one hour. Bacteria can grow rapidly in food that's unrefrigerated. And some bacteria make a poison or toxin that can make you ill, hence the term "food poisoning. " If you don't plan on eating takeout food immediately, you have two choices. You can keep it hot in a preheated oven at an internal temperature of 140 F (60 C) or higher. Or you can divide food into smaller portions, place in shallow containers and refrigerate. Plan to reheat the food to a temperature of 165 F (74 C) just before serving. ...Read more
How many days can freshly cooked food and food opened from tin [ ie tuna] be kept safely and usable in fridge after placing it in fridge?Thanks
About 2-3 days: You can sometimes go up to 5 days. Dry foods and foods high in sugar, vinegar, or alcohol can last much longer. The colder your fridge is set, the longer food will last. If you want to extend the time more, you can also try vacuum sealing the food, then put it in the fridge, that should give you an extra couple of days also. It's all about making the bacteria that spoils food grow slower. ...Read more
I accidentally cooked a small piece of the plastic that covers chicken breasts in the grocery store. Can I still eat the chicken, or will it be toxic?
Not a problem: This is non-toxic and will pass your GI system without problems. If it is big enough, you will discover it while eating the chicken and can remove. If too small to be seen in this way, it will not cause you any problems. ...Read more
How dangerous are liquid from leaked batteries? Do I need to decontaminate every item stored in the same drawer as some leaked button-cell batteries?
Leaked batteries: can cause a mess. Just wash/clean whatever is around the leakage. "Decontaminate" is a strong word. Do you have an excessive fear in this area? Peace and good health. ...Read more
Can draining food over a pan which has been soaking for twelve hours be harmful to health? Can mold get onto the food from the pan?
Your question is: ambiguous. Did you drain excess fluid from the food into the pan or put food into the pan when it had dirty water in it? You shouldn't cook food in water that has been sitting in a dirty pan for 12 hours. But its okay if you washed the pan thoroughly with dish detergent and hot water before using it to prepare food. And YES, mold can grow anywhere food's been sitting around long enough. ...Read more
Does consuming refrigerated food items including curry/dishes cause any skin allergic reaction?What is the max no.Of days a dish can be kept in fridge
Two issues: Refrigeration would not alter the allergenic potential of curry. You may be allergic to one or more contents of any prepared dish and it usually takes exclusion studies to settle the issue. Second item, it is generally not a good idea to keep a dish in the fridge for more than five days. ...Read more
Is coverin a ceramic bowl of food with kitchen foil as effective as non-metallic container? If says transfer to non-metallic container n refriderate
Yes: kitchen foil will not touch the food unless it is very full ...Read more
Is it bad if you eat food from a slightly heated plastic box. Also eating on a table where a computer is can it absorb radiation?
Don't use plastic: It is never a good idea to heat food in plastic. There are products that claim to be microwave safe but chemicals still come out of the plastic when it is heated. Some of those chemicals interfere with hormones. You don't need to worry about radiation from computers. It is not the kind that emits radioactive particles so nothing would end up staying in food. ...Read more
My girlfriend cooked spaghetti in a non stick pot and stored it in the fridge in the same pot. Is the food safe to eat? It was stored for a day
Should be, however: There are hazards from breathing fumes from Teflon when the pot is heated to high temperatures so I personally avoid using those products. But the main danger is while they are at high temperature; storing the food in that pot should not present additional hazards. See http://www.ewg.org/research/healthy-home-tips/tip-6-skip-non-stick-avoid-dangers-teflon for more information. ...Read more
Used metal fork to cook; didn't realise, but melted plastic ziplock bag. Still safe to eat food even if may be tiny bits of plastic?... Or throw?
Plastic: It is likely not harmful to eat the plastic but there is a possibility it could get stuck in your throat and have to be removed so I would start that dish again. All the best. ...Read more
Is it possible to get ergot poisoning from bread or baked goods from stores (Starbucks, market)? I am nervous to eat anything with flour in case.
Hmmm...: We all eat bread or baked goods from stores such as supermarkets, or cafes such as Starbucks. That means all 300 million or so of us Americans. Haven't heard of any ergot poisoning problems. ...Read more
Can you use baking soda to remove the odour of insecticide bug spray from room or would that create a toxic environment?
That's fine: See if it works. You would be doing a favor to yourself and others to ignore internet scare / junk disinformation sites about "environmental toxins." Leave this to real scientists, who will make their reputations by demonstrating real dangers if they exist. ...Read more
Is it safe to eat food that was cooked in a regular oven after plastic burned on the racks? (there were fumes and smoke)
Yes: There was a hoopla about plastic in the microwave a while back that had no real scientific basis. I'm not aware of any reason to be concerned about plastic in the fireplace. ...Read more
Having a bonfire and threw 3 aluminum cans in. After they melted is it possible to get aluminum poisoning from the fumes of them?
Not likely: Here is a fascinating study of fumes from campfires down by the Rocky Mountain Forest Service. Metal fumes in garbage thrown into campfires that appeared to be a problem were cadmium (from batteries), lead, beryllium, and mercury. See http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm04232327/page01.htm ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How to store leftovers in metal pots?
- How long can you store bottled water?
- Can you get medications for hemorrhoids at the drug store?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can you spread poison ivy?
- Can you swim with poison ivy?
- Can you get poison ivy from a person?
- What can you use for poison ivy?
- What can you take for food poison?