Doctor insights on:
Can Dehydration Cause Low Potassium
Yes, and other probs: Hypokalemia (or low potassium), affects skeletal muscle place in the body, and cardiac muscle. Therefore typical symptoms are muscle weakness, headaches, abnormal gastrointestinal sx. The most serious problem is cardiac muscle contractility and rhythm problems, including serious arrhythmias and death. Must know how severe it is, and must find cause. Diuretics, adrenal disease, diarrhea are some. ...Read more
Depends on how low. : By the time your blood potassium is low the total body potassium is really depleted. Slightly low potassium on it's own should not cause any arrhythmias. In combination with certain medications heart rhythm abnormalities may occur. Very low levels of potassium can cause serious arrhythmias. You should have your pcp follow this closely. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Hyperkalemia: Because the kidneys are able to excrete potassium well, high potassium level in the blood is rare in patients with normal kidney function. High blood potassium level can result in patients with reduced kidney function in certain settings (excessive potassium intake, cell/tissue death, or shift of potassium from intracelluar to extracellular compartment). ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can dehydration cause high potassium levels?
- Can low potassium cause anxiety?
- Can low potassium cause tingling?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can low potassium cause a stroke?
- Can low potassium cause lightheadedness?
- Can low potassium cause headaches?
- Can low potassium cause confusion?
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free