Doctor insights on:
Can Cancer Be Detected In Urine
Urine is the product of the kidneys, which is produced to eliminate the waste products of metabolism, manage body fluid balance, &maintain acid-base balance. The blood is first filtered by the kidneys, and the composition of the resulting fluid is then altered depending on the body's needs. It is composed of mostly water, and breakdown products from blood cells impart ...Read more
Needs evaluation: Any degree of blood in the urine (whether its microscopic or visible/gross) needs to be fully evaluated. Sources of blood in the urine may be either benign (e.g., infection, stones) or malignant. A malignancy anywhere in the urinary tract may cause hematuria - from the kidenys all the way dwn to the urethra. This is why patients need imaging and cystoscopy to evaluate hematuria. ...Read moreTalk to a real doctor now ›
Not cancer: Squamous cells in a urinalysis is usually a sign of contamination of the collection (i.e. The cup touched your skin). Squamous cells do not line the urinary tract - they are urothelial cells, also known as transitional cells all the way from the kidney to the urethra (except the last short segment in men). ...Read moreTalk to a real doctor now ›
Yes, but...: Many cancers do not shed their cells into the urine. The decision to pursue a further workup in the absence of a positive urine cytology is your physician's, with your input of course. If i had new hematuria, i'd have imaging even with negative cytology. Good luck. ...Read moreTalk to a real doctor now ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long can xanax be detected in urine?
- Can huffing be detected in blood or urine test?
- How long can weed be detected in urine?
- How long can suboxone be detected in urine?
- Can herpes be detected in urine?
- Can fentanyl be detected in urine?
- Can weed be detected in a urine test?
- How long can etg be detected in urine?
- Talk to a oncologist online for free