Doctor insights on:
Can Bruxism Cause Changes To Your Facial Structure
Does insulin resistance cause changes in facial structure or features? Or does the face become swollen? Or coarse facial features?
Yes, over time: Once teeth that used to be there are no longer there, the bone that supports and holds the teeth in your jaw will start to remodel and resorb away. Osteoclasts slowly eat away the bone since there is no reason for the bone to stay there. As a result, your jaw will become thinner in that area and your face may have a shrunken in look. This process takes months to years for it to become noticeable. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Change?: There's no way to know what you looked like before, what you look like now, or what changes you underwent without doing a full examination and a review of your records. Your treating orthodontic specialist should be able to answer your questions for you. ...Read more
Can be problematic: Teeth & supporting bone are important to facial structure. If teeth & bone are lost & not replaced it can definitely cause facial aging. Much like pulling a big tree out of the ground would leave a large hole, extraction can leave a sunken area. Replace a lost tooth immediately with bone grafting & implant or a bridge to fill in the area that is open due to extraction and protect against this. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What can cause changes in your period?
- What can cause your menstrual cycle to change?
- Can changing your diet cause diarrhea?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can wearing guard for bruxism cause a sudden onslaught of multiple cavities?
- Can changing your eating habits cause sinus headaches?
- Can what you eat or drink cause your stool to change color?
- Braces cause bruxism
- Talk to a head and neck surgeon online for free