Doctor insights on:
Can Botulism Be Dangerous
Yes: It is caused by a nerve toxin produced from certain bacteria usually from contaminated food or improperly processed canned foods. It can lead to paralysis if untreated. Unfortunately immunity does not necessarily develop. To be safe, canned foods with bulging lids should be thrown out as well as any bulging containers. Or if food has an usual smell it should not be eaten and thrown out as well. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Food & wounds: Botulism is caused by a toxin made by the c. Botulinum bacteria. In adults, botulism is usually caused by eating contaminated food (improperly prepared canned or fermented foods) or when a wound gets contaminated by the bacteria. Infant botulism can happen in the first year of life--risk factors include eating honey and exposure to contaminated soil. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can botulism recur?
- Can vegetables properly prevent botulism?
- How can you get botulism?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Contagiousness of botulism
- Can heavy periods be dangerous?
- How can nutrisystem be dangerous?
- Can a hernia be dangerous?
- Talk to a pediatrician online