Doctor insights on:
Can Birth Defects Be Diagnosed In Utero
Abnormal tissue Form: In simplistic terms a bd might be considered any abnormality found in a baby at birth. A better, more specific idea is a failure of a tissue or structure to form properly in fetal development.(cleft palate). A "disruption" can create a bd -loss of fingers to amnionic bands. Chromasome defects lead to several bd's like heart defects. ...Read more
Alcohol: The avoidable agent best known for producing a variety of birth defects is alcohol.The spectrum of defects varies considerably with the amount consumed during pregnancy.The most involved are born to alcoholic mothers while as few as 2 drinks a day has a a significant risk. Defects vary from decreased intellect, heart, skeletal, facial and numerous other features., . ...Read more
Possible: Spinal herniation can be a type called spina bifida occulta. This is a congenital (birth defect) defect that goes undeteced your entire life. It can also be more. Sometimes this is found during other testing. Severe forms of spina bifida can be detected before birth. It has successfully been operated before a baby is born. ...Read more
Environment: although some birth defects are inherited others come from harmful environmental factors, and others are a result from complex interaction of genes and environmental factors. In about 50% of the cases the causes are unknown. Some birth defects can be prevented by not drinking or smoking or using street drugs during pregnancy. Talk to a healthcare provider about medications you are taking as well ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can ultrasounds detect birth defects?
- Can mono cause birth defects?
- Can spermicides cause birth defects?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can toxoplasmosis infection in a man cause birth defects?
- Can ecoli cause severe birth defects?
- Can pelvic inflammatory disease cause birth defects?
- What birth defects can methadone use cause?
- Talk to a pediatrician online