Doctor insights on:
Can Birds Eat Moldy Bread
Molds consist of airborn spores and spreading forms (hyphae) growing on surfaces. Several species are black including stachybotrys and aspergillus. Black mold ingestion has been associated with a toxic syndrome with brain and blood disorders. Most patients do not ingest black mold so the correlation with their ...Read more
I am so busy at work as a nurse I rarely have time to eat. I accidentally ate moldy bread today. Dangerous?
If you accidently eat moldy bread can it cause you to have pain whenever you try to eat or get a drink?
Unless you have deficiency in your immune system, eating moldy bread should not cause any problems.
For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form.
Practice safe sex, if you have sex.
Get HPV vaccine. Read more
No: Most mold on bread is rhizopus, not penicillium, and would not cause a reaction in those with allergy to the drug penicillin. There have been a few penicillium molds producing penicillin found in some sausages and cheeses, but generally, there probably is not enough penicillin to cause a reaction, since this is almost never seen. The usda recommends that moldy breads be discarded for everyone. Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Nothing: Your stomach acid digested the mold and bread. Read more
Not usually: Usually not. In rare cases the mold is such that neurological or allergic symptoms can arise (ergotism in the middle ages). Read more
Yes: It depends on the type of mold. There is a good chance your stomach acid will kill the mold. If this doesn't happen you will get stomach symptoms first. If you get sick for more than 24h see your doctor. Read more
I would be careful about eating any food which has not been stored properly. This can allow bacteria and other organisms to grow and multiply. Some molds are benign and some are not.
This can deliver a load of toxins to your intestinal tract. It is not sufficient to cut off the mold, because there may be more in the rest of the product. Read more
No: Would think not.Get a more detailed answer ›
Accidentally ate bread that turned out to be moldy. Do I need to do anything, or is my body able to deal with the mold no problem?
Most likely: Most likely should be ok your body likely digested it. Most moldy bread is benign and you won't have any symptoms however few can cause illness. If you start developing cold fever like symptoms then you may want to present to your doctor. Most likely you are fine though. At most you might develop vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach but this will go away after few days, hydrate. If not go to doctor. Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I just realized the bottom of the bread I jate was all moldy. I couldn't taste it because I put peanut butter on it. Could this make me sick?
Usually not: Although it is not a good idea to eat anything moldy (except perhaps cheese), it is unlikely that you will get sick from eating a slice of moldy bread. Although many molds may produce a mycotoxin, they are not always harmful to people and the amount is usually too low to cause toxic side effects. Read more
I Injested moldy bread with sesame seeds and spices yesterday didn't realize until I was almost done and now I'm feeling ill should I go be seen?
Eating moldy bread is not serious an issue. Unless you have immune deficiency, you can just tough it out. If you get profuse diarrhea or vomiting then do go to an emergency room. Make sure you drink enough water to avoid dehydration.
For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form.
Practice safe sex. Read more
Accidentally ate an entire sandwich with moldy bread almost 9 hours ago. Do I need to be concerned or watchful of symptoms? I'm allergic to penicillin.
No: Mold on bread is harmless. I am glad everything is well with you. Read more
Ancient medicine: Ancient Egyptians were aware that bread mold had some activity against infection, probably because some of the molds produce penicillin. Honey is supposed to contain some antibacterials as well. Nowadays we have far stronger stuff if you're seriously sick. Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor online
- If you eat moldy bread
- Can eating moldy bread hurt you?
- Can you get sick eating moldy bread?
- Is it dangerous to eat moldy bread if you have a penicillin allergy?
- Can moldy bread make you sick or give you a headache?
- After earing a moldy bread what can i do for the stomach apin
- Eating moldy rye bread
- The symptoms of eating moldy bread
- If you are allergic to penicillin and eat moldy bread