Doctor insights on:
Can Aminoglycosides Work To Treat Pseudomonas Aeruginosa
Yes: Polymyxins are a very old class of antibiotics. They tend to have kidney and nervous system toxicity, and because they are very old the exact effective doses of these drugsis not well known. Still given problems with bacterial antibiotic resistance, sometimes these agents are used when a highly resistant bacteria is encountered. Colistin the one most often used can be given via inhalation or iv. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Sometimes: Quinilones in the past were very effective against pseudomonas, however because of their widespread and some might say, excessive use in the hospital and community many strains of pseudomonas are now resistant to these antibiotics. They still retain effectiveness in some cases, and specific testing of the germ grown from the patient (culture results) can determine if this is true in a given case. ...Read more
Varies: This bacteria is a relatively common cause of hospital acquired infections. It is also an important cause of infection in patients with cystic fibrosis. To get an idea of how common in hospitalized patients it is seen in up to 4/1000 patient discharges from the hospital and is responsible for about 10% of hospital acquired infections. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can monobactams work to treat pseudomonas aeruginosa?
- How to treat pseudomonas aeruginosa?
- Are there home remedies that can treat a pseudomonas aeruginosa lung infection?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can probiotics prevent pseudomonas aeruginosa infection?
- Why do antibiotics not work well against pseudomonas aeruginosa?
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa treatment
- Pseudomona aeruginosa treatment
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online