Doctor insights on:
Can A Defibrillator Restart A Heart That Stopped
By resetting it: A defibrillator restart a heart in an abnormal rhythm, the defibrillator sends an electrical shock to clear the abnormal rhythm, with the hope that the normal heart rhythm will restart. If there is no electrical activity- flat line, or asytole. There is no role for a defibrillator. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Not likely: It may not save them but unlikely to kill them. ...Read more
How external defibrillator work on the heart and what is the mechanism of action of the external defibrillator?
Ext defibrillators: There are 3 types. Manual defib- used by medical staff, automatic ones (aed's) found at airports, casinos, stadiums and wearable devices (lifevest)- worn while waiting for permanent one. All 3 devices monitor the heart and if the rhythm is ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation it delivers a painful but lifesaving electrical shock of up to 360 joules. The heart rhythm usually resets to normal. ...Read more
Do patients with cardiac defibrillators physically feel the shock? Or is it just like normal heart electricity where you feel nothing at all?
ICD: When an ICD discharges the patient feels the jolt. It is not a sensation most of the patients enjoy other than knowing it likely saved their life. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How does a defibrillator restart a stopped heart?
- What chemical restarts a stopped heart?
- Can periods restart after menopause?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Defibrillator heart surgery
- Heart attack defibrillator
- Heart defibrillator side effects
- Can early menopause be stopped?
- Talk to a cardiologist online