Doctor insights on: Botulism
Intestinal growth: Spores of clostridium botulinum bacteria can be found in honey. When a child less than a year old ingests these spores they may not move them through the GI tract fast enough to prevent them from growing in the tract. When the bacteria begins to grow in the infant's intestinal tract it creates a toxin that leads to botulism. ...Read more
Paralysis: Botulism causes a type of paralysis that progresses from head to toes. Symptoms usually appear 8-36 hrs after eating improperly canned or preserved foods. Abdominal cramps, double vision, nausea, vomiting, difficulty swallowing and speaking, and weakness that is equal on both sides of the body occur. Botulism is a medical emergency. ...Read more
I know if you give honey to a infant that it causes botulism disease. I breastfeed and drink honey a few times a week. Does that increase mysonget it?
No: Not through breast milk.Get a more detailed answer ›
Doubt you have it...: Botulism is a paralytic disease caused by neurotoxin elaborated by clostridium botulinum. Illness begins with cranial nerve involvement & progresses toward the extremities. Food-borne botulism varies from mild to severe with resulting death. Patients should be hospitalized, incipient respiratory failure addressed, & antitoxin administered. Highly exposed individuals can be vaccinated. ...Read more
In terms of marinara sauce, does canned marinara sauce have a higher risk of having the botulism bacterium than marinara in a glass jar?
Botulism from commercially prepared foods whether canned or in glass is an extremely rare event. On the other hand there is a risk with home canning (usually put into glass containers). Here is more info from the centers for disease control:
http://www. Cdc. Gov/features/homecanning/
general info on botulism:
http://www. Cdc. Gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases/botulism/. ...Read more
Botulism explained: Botulism is a condition that develops due to a toxin that is released by a bug when it is ingested with food. Once absorbed, this toxin paralyses the nerves causing facial and limb paralysis and can be life-threatening at times. Treatment requires hospitalisation and close monitoring. Avoiding contaminated food products is the best preventive strategy. ...Read more
Yes: It is caused by a nerve toxin produced from certain bacteria usually from contaminated food or improperly processed canned foods. It can lead to paralysis if untreated. Unfortunately immunity does not necessarily develop. To be safe, canned foods with bulging lids should be thrown out as well as any bulging containers. Or if food has an usual smell it should not be eaten and thrown out as well. ...Read more
Food & wounds: Botulism is caused by a toxin made by the c. Botulinum bacteria. In adults, botulism is usually caused by eating contaminated food (improperly prepared canned or fermented foods) or when a wound gets contaminated by the bacteria. Infant botulism can happen in the first year of life--risk factors include eating honey and exposure to contaminated soil. ...Read more