Doctor insights on:
Many possibilities.: Lead was used as an additive to paints used in home building years ago & the inhalation of paint dust during renovations, or kids chewing on cribs painted with lead paint provided some. Exposure to clothes of someone working in around lead (battery reclamation) or that from lead paint on decorative dishes were also common. Removal of lead from many of these products has reduced public risk. ...Read more
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze. . . are all ...Read more
Lead in environment: Sources of lead include old paint (babies chewing on windowsills); soil near a highway; pottery with lead based glaze (usually imported); and some toys have been found to have lead based paint (again- imported. Lead based paint is no longer used in the US. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Not a matter for:
Self treatment. Lead poisoning may require chelation therapy, please consult your doctor. For more information on prevention, symptoms etc see this site.
http://www. Nlm. Nih. Gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002473.htm. ...Read more
Awful!: ~ 20 minutes after a toxic dose, the body's muscles begin to twitch and spasm, leading to nearly continuous convulsions and then increased body temperature and muscle breakdown. People die after 2-3 hours from eventual paralysis of breathing or exhaustion from continuous convulsions. ...Read more
See a specialist: The first thing to do is to make sure that you find the source of the lead so that you can stop the exposure. Next you need to see a doctor that knows how to treat this kind of condition. It may just take watchful waiting or you may need to go through a treatment called chelation. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Lead is an environmental toxin and measurements of high levels in the bloodstream require treatment. Avoiding the source of lead, having your home and water supply inspected for possibly sources may be completed by the health department.
Please check with your doctor for treatment recommendations based on the level in your bloodstream. I hope this helps. ...Read more
Gluten: In all practical terms, there is no such thing as Gordon poisoning. In the rear patients who have true celiac disease, it is vital to avoid all gluten because of reactions to it. In people who feel that they have intolerance to gluten, there are very in degrees as to how aggressively they need to avoid them. They are not poisoned by them, however. Hope this helps. ...Read more
It depends.: This depends on what you mean by poisoning. If you mean renal failure, this has symptoms like high BUN and creatinine (azotemia), hematuria, proteinuria, and dehydration or edema depending on the type of renal failure. If prerenal (beforethe kidney), bun/cr ratio is >20:1, renal <10-15:1, and postrenal has a high BUN of 150 if advanced. Causes like sle, strep., etc. Have unique signs (eg c3c). ...Read more
Industry: Known exposures are usually in industry, and depending where you are, industrial medicine / hygiene may be imperfect and allow unfortunate things to happen. Lead from paint / plumbing in old homes is serious. Arsenic and less often thallium are homicidal poisons; I've run into both. There are crooked labs that will overdiagnose heavy metal poisoning. Good luck sorting it out. ...Read more
Blood test: Lead poisoning has a very long list of possible symptoms and can be confused with other illnesses. If you have had a history of chronic lead exposure, or are concerned, just have a simple blood test done. ...Read more