Doctor insights on:
Bone Marrow Biopsy Does The Hole Heal
A bone marrow biopsy is taken from the pelvic bone. A coring needle is advanced into the bone, which allows one to extract a sliver of the bone marrow, the red part of the bone. It is cut and viewed under a microscope. A bone marrow aspirate, obtained with a syringe, is usually bone at the same time. These are done to diagnose blood problems or to check for tumors in ...Read more
Not long: See my previous answer. Usually a day or so unless there were complications. If longer than a couple of day, i would call the doctor and discuss. There could be bleeding at the site with a hematoma or potentially an infection. A bruise is to be expected and can cause some soreness. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Many Indications: Bone marrow biopsy is most useful in diagnosis and staging of blood cancers (leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, etc). Also indicated for evaluating unexplained anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, pancytopenia, or unexplained elevated blood counts. It is also useful for fever of unknown origin, or as a confirmation that bone marrow transplantation is successful. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Biopsy is tissue removed by needle or cutting to remove part of a body part. It is usually a small amount of material that is processed by a pathologist. Most of the time it is stained and looked at through a microscope to arrive at a diagnosis. Special processes are done for some tissues or problems. The purpose is to tell what the problem is (diagnosis). ...Read more
Bone marrow is the flexible tissue found in the interior of bones. In humans, red blood cells are produced in the heads of long bones, in a process known as hematopoesis. On average, bone marrow constitutes 4% of the total body mass of humans; in an adult weighing 65 kilograms (140 lb), bone marrow accounts for approximately ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take to get the bone marrow biopsy results?
- How long does it typically take a deep bone bruise to the hand to heal?
- How long does a fractured bone on the hand take to heal?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does after a bone marrow biopsy does hurt it for?
- How does the immune system help to heal a broken bone?
- How long after bone marrow transplant does a patient stay in the hospital?
- Should you drink the night before a bone marrow biopsy
- Talk to a pathologist online for free