Doctor insights on:
Bone Marrow Biopsy
Bone Marrow Biopsy (Definition)
A bone marrow biopsy is taken from the pelvic bone. A coring needle is advanced into the bone, which allows one to extract a sliver of the bone marrow, the red part of the bone. It is cut and viewed under a microscope. A bone marrow aspirate, obtained with a syringe, is usually bone at the same time. These are done to diagnose blood problems or to check for tumors in people with known cancer.
Biopsy...: You are typically on your stomach and lightly sedated. The area on the back of your pelvis (hip region) is injected with local anesthesia and a "large" needle is placed into the bone marrow cavity to remove a sample of the contents. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Short term: Should be no more than a few days; and that is on the longer side of the estimate. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No: There are no long term detriments to a bone marrow biopsy. Although rare, an infection is possible but this still should not cause any long term issues. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Biopsy is tissue removed by needle or cutting to remove part of a body part. It is usually a small amount of material that is processed by a pathologist. Most of the time it is stained and looked at through a microscope to arrive at a diagnosis. Special processes are done for some tissues or problems. The purpose is to tell what the problem is (diagnosis). ...Read more
Bone marrow is the flexible tissue found in the interior of bones. In humans, red blood cells are produced in the heads of long bones, in a process known as hematopoesis. On average, bone marrow constitutes 4% of the total body mass of humans; in an adult weighing 65 kilograms (140 lb), bone marrow accounts for approximately ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does it take to get the bone marrow biopsy results?
- Bone marrow biopsy results interpretation
- How long could the pain last after a bone marrow biopsy?
- Bone marrow biopsy side effects
- How long does after a bone marrow biopsy does hurt it for?
- Could you be put to sleep for a bone marrow biopsy
- Bone marrow biopsy chromosome analysis blood cancer
- Should you drink the night before a bone marrow biopsy
- Talk to a pathologist online for free