Doctor insights on:
Blood Mercury Levels
What number of 6 oz servings of swordfish would a mother have to eat to have high enough blood levels of mercury to cause developmental problems?
Nobody knows: Nobody has been able to demonstrate an effect of mercury in ordinary fish-eating even in countries where a lot is consumed (the Faroes, the Seychelles, Australia). The EPA advice against all women and children eating any swordfish is political -- and no surprise from an agency that once declared sandbox sand a cause of cancer. I find no realistic basis for fear. ...Read more
If an electrician is exposed to high levels of mercury and becomes ill, how do doctors detect it if the blood levels are no longer high?
Difficult: Detecting mercury is most reliable from blood or urine, but fades a few days after last exposure. Hair testing is long-term positive, but is a test not standardized, and is not helpful for inorganic (elemental) mercury if that is the type of exposure implied for this case...it is best for organic mercury from seafood. Read more: http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/mercury/tab/test/ ...Read more
What happens if someone was exposed to mercury vapors 2 days ago and he wants to check the mercury level in his blood..?
Is it needed?: What form of mercury vapor were you exposed to? For how long was the exposure? Do you have any symptoms?. What will you do with the results? A laboratory can do the test if your doctor orders it. ...Read more
My blood test came back with a mercury level at 16 ng/ml. How concerned should I be with this number?
Action level is 35: Mercury is a naturally-occurring element and this level won't make you sick or damage you or your unborn child, but you might ask whether you have an occupational exposure, love eating fish (up to 200 ng/ml seems to be tolerated without harm), or live near a coal-burning plant. The published 'actional level' (i.e., think about less fish) is 35 ng/ml. Eager to hear from others. ...Read more
Blood Mercury: Is a measure of mercury content in blood, which is an indicator of exposure to organic mercury, such as eating fish containing methyl mercury, or recent exposure to high levels of mercury vapor. Levels above 5 nanograms per ml. In blood are abnormal (in urine, it is above 20). ...Read more
Find out why: There are several unethical 'holistic' labs that will diagnose you with elevated mercury in the blood and suggest various non-evidence-based therapies. Beware of these folks. Real mercury toxicity requires a physician to use a chelator. If there's actually elemental mercury in your blood, a police investigation is warranted -- this would be a bizarre homicide attempt. ...Read more
Serum mercury level: Serum or blood mercury level. Everyone has a small amount of mercury in her body, because mercury is a naturally occurring substance. Exposure to methylmercury (a form of mercury) most often comes from eating fish that contains methylmercury. Usually, greater amounts of methylmercury are found in larger predatory fish. ...Read more
I've been told I have depression but it's not, it's mercury toxicity from fillings, why wont drs test harder for it in the blood?
Blood report tells
SGPT - 68 U/L (N:5 - 35)
SGOT - 29 U/L (N: 0 - 38).
I eat fish everyday, suspect high mercury.Should I do hepatitis test?
Liver hemangioma for 10 yrs size stable. June blood work showed GGT = 141, gluc.=113, cholest = 232, LDL = 145, mercury=17.5 all ^ than in past.Why?
Varies: Mercury can be elemental, inorganic, or organic and symptoms change depending on type and if exposure was ingestion or inhalation. Inhaling elemental mercury (old thermometer, fluorescent lights) can cause difficulty breathing, vomiting, bleeding gums. Bloody diarrhea/vomiting, kidney and brain damage can occur from swallowing inorganic mercury (batteries, disinfectants). Organic mercury ... ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
I had 2.5 oz of cooked ahi tuna. I later read ahi tuna is on the "avoid list" due to its higher Mercury level. Is my baby ok? Can i fix it?
Stop worrying: There is no actual evidence that any baby has ever been harmed by mercury in fish apart from two tragic pollution disasters. These recommendations are subscientific and are best guesses to allay public fears. In two overseas studies, kids eating fish like this actually did better than others. Comply from now on and keep being a good mother. ...Read more
Yes: High levels of mercury as well as other toxins can be present in tuna and other fish species. We have to depend upon the government inspections to insure that our seafood we purchase and eat is contaminant free, or certainly at an acceptable level per established standards. ...Read more
Is there a way to keep mercury levels low in someone who eats shark regularly? This would be a precautionary measure. I've read that se binds to hg
Need more specifics: What do you mean by "histamine and sulfur intolerance"? Do you know that you have high mercury levels? You evidently have a source of medical care for several conditions. Best to consult your own doc with complex questions. Sorry can't be of more help. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer