Doctor insights on:
Blood Cells Red Shaped
For function: The purpose of the RBC is to transport oxygen via the hemoglobin/Fe molecule. In order to optimize the amount of hemoglobin present the cell is devoid of a nucleus and cytoplasmic components. This allows the maximum number of oxygen molecules to be present in each RBC. The cell has the other job of being able to circulate via the microvessels to deliver the O2. Its disc shape provides entry. ...Read more
Microcytosis causes: Abnormally small red cells may be due to a number of reasons that include acquired or hereditary disorders of the main protein found in red cells-called hemoglobin. The most common causes inlclude iron deficiency, anemia of chronic disease and rarer forms such as sideroblastic anemias and thallasemias. If you or someone you know has this result in CBC, plase consult your MD ,a hematologist now. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: Once the rbc's are removed, the remainder is serum- an amber colored liquid. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Oval shaped red blood cells
- Abnormally shaped red blood cells
- Sickle shaped red blood cells
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does red and white blood cells in urine mean?
- What does a high red and white blood cell count mean?
- Can too much alcohol cause low red blood cell count?
- Abnormally large red blood cells
- Talk to a hematologist online for free