Doctor insights on:
Black Mold Symptoms In Infants
If an infant is exposed to black mold for four months, and is only five months, what can that cause? Is it a long-term exposure?
No problem: There are 500, 00 molds and half of them are black. Unless there is an active breathing problem at this time, there is not going to be any long term problem.
Molds consist of airborn spores and spreading forms (hyphae) growing on surfaces. Several species are black including stachybotrys and aspergillus. Black mold ingestion has been associated with a toxic syndrome with brain and blood disorders. Most patients do not ingest black mold so the correlation with their ...Read more
Infant and young child have been exposed to toxic black mold - it's been in our walls for months maybe years. How do I know if they're ok??
ADL: Activities of daily living. The best way to screen a kid for significant health issues is to consider their activities/eating/sleeping etc. If they act normal for their age group they likely are. There are hundreds of "dark " molds and only a few toxic ones. Individuals can have an atypical allergic reaction to any of them. Much of the lay fear of black mold is media hype. Your doc can sort it out.See 1 more doctor answer
Varies: Depends on what the symptoms are. The so-called microbial volatile organic compounds which give you the musty odor may irritate your nose, eyes, and lungs nearly instantly. The allergic sensitization may takes days or months to develop causing hay fever, asthma, , sinus. eye and other symptoms. Recurrent pneumonia or even permanent lung scarring may occur in some people.
Depends: If you have developed an allergic reaction to the molds, the condition may improve but not go away when no longer exposed. If your symptoms are from the irritating effects of the volatile organic compounds which give mold the musty odor, then these symptoms should be gone shortly after the exposure.
Black mold: Usually black mold symptoms are that of allergy to molds. Black mold is more uncommon and the spores are large so it is not prominant as a allergen. The neurotoxic aspects to tricothecenes are controversial and not generally accepted at this time. Some black molds do not produce tricothecens so it depencds on the type, density, duration and individual susceptibility.
Mold allergy: An allergy to mold shows up as usual symptoms of allergic rhinitis, chronic sinusitis, and asthma. These conditions should be treated by your doctor and can cause headache, sleep issues, fatigue, etc. As respiratory irritants, there is no long term effect to your health if you are not allergic to the mold and simply just remove yourself from being confined to spaces that have high mold burdens.See 1 more doctor answer
Agree With Above: Some studies reviewing patients with black mold related illness have found that most patients have multiple other health problems that cause their symptoms not their mold exposure. Also mold testing companies often do inadequate testing, not comparing indoor and outdoor levels on the same day. If you are concerned see an allergy specialist.See 1 more doctor answer
I'm pretty sure my sister has been exposed to black mold and is suffering from some of the symptoms. What can we do?
Allergy consult: The toxic effects from "black mold" exposure are often exaggerated. A certain percentage of people exposed to it may develop asthma, hay fever, sinus infections etc. The best treatment is to move out of the place where the black mold has been found until the problem has been fixed. If problem continues, see an allergist.
What are the short term & long term symptoms of black mold? What happens to you & why is it so bad? What should one do immediatly?
Black Mold Symptoms: Black mold is caused by wet basements, poorly ventilated attcs, moistures in the bath room and dirty duct work. The short term symptoms are, allergic symptoms, headaches, and fatigue. The long term symptoms are chronic sinusitis, bronchial asthma, and weakened immune systems which can lead to recurrent infections.
Yes: Black mold seems to affect breathing primarily as an irritant, so there are unlikely to be untoward effects on breathing after exposure is discontinued. Asbestos exposure results in hypersensitivity reactions, also not likely to appear after exposure. Asbestos also increases risk of cancer and breathing effects would appear years later.
Possible: Not everyone exposed gets diseased, but thatdoesn't mean continue exposure, again aavoidance should be practiced
Found black mold in room of my 1week old baby. Is simply moving to another mold free room a long/short term solution. We plan to move house next month?
Black mold: Use NIOSH 95 mask that can filter particles, and gloves clean with Tilex (if is > 3 square feet call a professional), move the baby, try an air purifier in baby's room (Home depot SPT magic ~ 60 dollars). Consider dehumidifier as mold grow in higher humidity> 70 %. Discuss with the pediatrician http://www. Fsec. Ucf. Edu/en/consumer/buildings/basics/moldgrowth. Htm
Black mold not toxic: Extensive scientific studies of black mold show that mold, black or other colors, is not toxic to humans. If you have a mold allegy, then the spores may cause allergic eye, nasal and chest symptoms. The moldy smell can also be irritating to the respiratory tract. Mold growth indicates excessive moisture at the site of growth. The mold should be properly removed and the water leak repaired.
No set time: Depends on what the symptoms are. The so-called microbial volatile organic compounds which give you the musty odor can irritate your nose, eyes, and lungs nearly instantly- if strong enough. The allergic sensitization may takes days or months to develop. Do note that not all people exposed to black molds develop diseases.
I found a lot of black mold in a skylight above the bed and the baby's bassinet. I am concerned about the mold exposure. I cleaned it up the best...
Not to worry: Black mold spores are in the air almost everywhere. If you and the baby do not have any symptoms, you do not need to worry. Wish you and your baby good health.
Not: Likely because inhaled spores will be addressed by immune cells in your trachea and lung, while not directly affecting your immune cells in your gut lining.
Rub with a wet cloth: Get it checked by a dentist or a pediatrician.
Can black mold cause rhinitis and allergic reaction? And what type of illness/symptoms could this induce?
Many: If you are allergic, asthma, rhinitis, conjunctivitis, and rarely hives may develop. If you have an impaired immune system, you may have invasive fungal disease. Some may develop allergic bronchopulmonary mycosis (with aspergillus being more common) manifested usually as steroid-resistant asthma. Others hypersensitivity pneumonitis which when prolonged may cause permanent lung damage.
I've lived in my apt 8 years just found a black mold spot under sink we don't use are me and my baby going to die from it or cancer please help me?
No, don't worry: The most common black mold symptoms and health effects are associated with a respiratory response. Chronic coughing and sneezing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat, rashes, chronic fatigue and persistent headaches can all be symptomatic of black mold exposure or black mold poisoning. If the area is very small, wear a mask and clean with a chlorine spray.
- Talk to a doctor online
- Black mold symptoms in people
- Symptoms of breathing in black mold
- Black mold poisioning symptoms
- Black mold symptoms in children
- Black mold in lungs symptoms
- Black mold inhalation symptoms
- Symptoms of black mold inhalation
- Symptoms of black mold
- Symptoms of black mold sickness