Doctor insights on:
Black Coating On Tongue
Real change: The cause is uncertain, but hairy tounge mainly affects people who are heavy smokers. It has also been associated with poor oral hygiene. Scraping or brushing of the tounge can sometimes help. ...Read more
I have had purplish black areas on my tongue, they don't hurt or itch just are ugly and my tongue has a strange coating not like thrush, any ideas ?
Usually: White tongue is a coating of debris, bacteria and dead cells on your tongue that makes it look white. Although the appearance of white tongue may be alarming, the condition is usually harmless and temporary. However, white tongue can be an indication of some serious conditions, ranging from infection to a precancerous condition. If you're concerned about a white coating call your dentist. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Brush it: Maybe....So bring all of your baked goods down to my office! seriously, i doubt you have a big problem, but see your dentist to confirm. Geographic tongue can make your tongue look funny, but you can also have an overgrowth of papillae, coffee stains, etc. Try brushing your tongue aggressively with your toothbrush or a tongue scraper available at your drug store. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Small black dot on tongue
- Orange coating on tongue causes
- Brown coating on back of tongue
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Black spot on baby's tongue
- White coating on tongue with red bumps
- White coating on tongue and sore throat
- What does a black spot on your tongue mean?
- Talk to an otolaryngologist online