Doctor insights on:
Biological Compounds Saturated Vs Unsaturated Fats
It's not Better: Polyunsaturated fat (pufa) and saturated fat have the same calories to make you gain weight, raise your blood pressure and blood sugar. The most recent studies show monounsaturated fats such as olive oil or canola oil are the least harmful: unlike pufa, they do not auto-oxidize or increase inflammation and they are the fastest to be burned as fuel. But really, there is "no safe fat!". ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
If a food has more unsaturated fats than saturated and trans fats, does the unsaturated cancel out the effects of the saturated and trans?
NO!!!: First of all, there is good reason to question whether saturated fats are actually unhealthy- see http://www.Bmj.Com/content/347/bmj.F6340 however, trans fats are among the most toxic foods one can eat and a major cause of heart disease- see http://bit.Ly/1era8lt ; http://bit.Ly/13o0nkq no amount of healthy fats can "cancel out" the incredible toxicity caused by trans fats. ...Read more
Per AHA: Saturated fats- butter, lard, fatback & solid shortening. Trans fats- vegetable shortening, select margarines, food fried in partially hydrogenated oil (or containing it), & many types of cookies, snacks & crackers. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Saturated vs unsaturated fat molecular level
- Unsaturated fat vs saturated fat which is better
- Saturated and unsaturated fat
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are trans fats saturated or unsaturated?
- Saturated vs. unsaturated fats
- Saturated fat or unsaturated fat better
- Compare and contrast saturated and unsaturated fats
- Saturated vs unsaturated fats chemistry