Doctor insights on:
Benefits Of Not Drinking Any Alcohol
Weigh carefully: Moderate drinking (2 drinks or less/day for men, and 1 drink or less/day for women) may protect against coronary artery disease and heart attack. Also this could raise levels of hdl, the "good" cholesterol, and reduce the risk of blood clots forming in coronary arteries. These small amounts could also reduce risk of dementia. Heavy drinking (4+ drinks/day, etc) negates these possible benefits. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Possibly-low doses: There have been associations (which does not necessarily mean that alcohol is the CAUSE of the effect) between low dose alcohol (up to 2 drinks per day in men and 1 drink in women and men over 60) and improvement in HDL cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol), with a lower rate of coronary heart disease/heart attack, which are the major cause of death in the western world. Exercise works even better. ...Read more
May increase HDL: Moderate alcohol use may increase HDL (good cholesterol), which may help lower the risk of heart disease. But too much alcohol can increase triglycerides, which would increase the risk of heart disease. The key is to drink in moderation. If you currently don't drink, don't start drinking for the possible health benefits. The moderate alcohol use is 1-2 drinks/day for men and 1 drink/day for women. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
1. Never have a: Hangover. 2. Never have a blackout. 3. Never pass out from alcohol use. 4. Never get arrested for a dui. 5. Never have arguments with your spouse about your drinking. 6. Never get into a drunken stupor. 7. Never become a drunk. 8. Never have to feel ashamed about you did when you were drunk. 9. Never go into withdrawal. Etc., etc. ...Read more
For every + a -: You've probably read the stories of one glass of wine or spirits per day does this thing that's great for you. On the other side of this argument is a body of research that says that no amount of alcohol is ever good. Use in moderation or responsibly please, but don't expect any "health benefits". ...Read more
32 yrs. Have been drinking alcohol regularly for half my life now. What benefits are there to giving up drinking now? Has my body adapted to alcohol?
How much and: for what medicinal purposes.Get a more detailed answer ›
At age 16 years old?: --- none.Get a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Alcohol drinks
- Alcohol drinking
- Any health benefits of vodka
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is there any benefit in drinking own sperm?
- Is their any health benefit of wearing undergarment?
- Any benefit from knock knees
- Should people drink alcohol
- Benefits of quitting drinking alcohol