Top
10
Doctor insights on: Benefits Of Cardiolite Stress Tests

Share
1

1
How accurate are cardiolite stress tests for a 29 yr old female? Had one done 3 weeks ago that came back normal but still experiencing symptoms

How accurate are cardiolite stress tests for a 29 yr old female? Had one done 3 weeks ago that came back normal but still experiencing symptoms

80%: If you don't have diabetes and you don't smoke, your pretest probability of significant CAD is very low (<20%) and with a normal test, this drops to <5%. If you exercised well on the treadmill (>10 minutes), your risk is <1%. Look for a different cause of your symptoms. ...Read more

Dr. Heidi Fowler
3,003 doctors shared insights

Stress (Definition)

Stress affects most people in some way. Acute (sudden, short-term) stress leads to rapid changes throughout the body. Almost all body systems (the heart and blood vessels, immune system, lungs, digestive system, sensory organs, and brain) gear up to meet perceived danger. These stress responses could prove beneficial in a critical, life-or-death situation. Over time, however, repeated stressful situations put a strain on the body that may contribute to physical and psychological problems. Chronic (long-term) stress can have real health consequences and should be addressed like any other health concern. Fortunately, research is showing that lifestyle changes and stress-reduction techniques can help people learn ...Read more


2

2
What can you tell me about the cardiolite nuclear stress test?

What can you tell me about the cardiolite nuclear stress test?

Myocardial scan: A cardiac perfusion scan measures the amount of blood supplied to your heart muscle. Radiotracers such as thallium or technetium sestamibi (cardiolite) are injected intravenously and travel through blood to heart muscle.2 sets of images are made during rest and exercise and compared. Indications for this study include chest pain, previous heart attack, heart surgery and coronary artery disease ...Read more

4

4
Why would you have an adenosine/cardiolite stress test done?

Why would you have an adenosine/cardiolite stress test done?

Ischemia evaluation.: Adenosine/cardiolite stress test is usually done to look for ischemia. Adenosine is a pharmacologic stress agent which is used often when patients cannot exercise on treadmill adequately. Cardiolite is the tracer used to image the heart. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
5

5
Tomorrow i'm getting a nuclear stress test w cardiolite. Worried about side effects and reaction to the thallium or whatever they use. Should i worry?

Isotopes quite safe: Dyes are not used during nuclear stress tests. Trace radioactive isotopes are but there are no significant reactions to these minute doses used considering the thousands of tests done around the globe daily unless one has a history of being allergic to the thallium or cardiolite. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
6

6
Had echocardiogram, nuclear stress test w cardiolite, EKG and 30 day holter. Does the echo and nuclear test rule out CAD or any potential blockages?

Had echocardiogram, nuclear stress test w cardiolite, EKG and 30 day holter. Does the echo and nuclear test rule out CAD or any potential blockages?

Tests: in your age group the tests you had suggest that you presently have no significant problems with coronary blood flow. You won't get a guarantee for the future but good diet, exercise along with no smoking and medical follow up will be prudent. ...Read more

9

9
What to do if I'm 53 y/o white female with vice like chest pain,numbness & tingling & perspiration..cardiolite stress normal..what is going on?

What to do if I'm 53 y/o white female with vice like chest pain,numbness & tingling & perspiration..cardiolite stress normal..what is going on?

Poss false negative: Cardiolyte stress tests in the best laboratories in the world only have 80% sensitivity. You don't mention if your pain is exertional. That aspect of pain is far more important than the other descriptors you use. You need a coronary angiogram to clear the air. It may be normal. Your pain may not be of cardiac origin. But there is a valid indication here to find out. ...Read more

10

10
Getting a stress echo done next week. Can thallium (cardiolite) cause a heart attack or is it the actual activity that can cause ha during testing?

Getting a stress echo done next week. Can thallium (cardiolite) cause a heart attack or is it the actual activity that can cause ha during testing?

Stress testing: The circulation of the heart is evaluated by stress testing. Walking on a treadmill or injection of medicine has the effect of stressing the heart muscle. Sometimes additional information is obtained by simultaneously imaging the heart using ultrasound or injecting a nuclear isotope and scanning the heart with a special nuclear camera. The tests are safe and provide very useful information. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer