Doctor insights on:
Bee Or Wasp Stings
Wilderness care: If in the wilderness - remove the stinger by scraping with a flat edged object. Wash with water & soap if available. You can make a paste of clay-like soil and water and apply to the area. If you have access to ice - apply that. If you have an allergy - use your epi pen and get to emergency care or have emergency care get to you asap. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I don't think so: I have not heard of that. But i would not try to temp a bee to sting me just to test it out. Both cause a release of histamines - so you are likely just to develop more of an reaction. ...Read more
I'm 23 yo and have never been stung by a wasp, bee, scorpion, other stinging insect. Does this increase my likelihood of being allergic if I get stung ?
Allergic Symptoms: Allergic symptoms can include wheezing, chest, tightness, coughing, shortness of breath, throat tightness, slurring of speech, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing, feeling weak, fainting & mental confusion as well as hives or swelling of your lips, tongue, throat or mouth. Severe allergic reactions can be treated with self- injectable Epinephrine (epi-pen or ana-kit). Call 911 for help. ...Read more
Remove the stinger: If it is a bee, the first thing to do is remove the stinger, this is best done by using the edge of a credit card to scrape it out. Since the venom sac is attached, you do not want to squeeze it. A wasp on the other hand does not lose its stinger and can sting you several times. Once you have been stung, ice is probably the best remedy. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: One can be allergic to wasp stings and not bee stings. ...Read more
Protein in venom: A person who is allergic to stinging insects has developed an allergy to a protein in the insect venom. These proteins have been well described and include mellitin, hyaluronidase, phospholipase, etc. Why this happens to some people is unclear. Thankfully treatment with venom allergy injections is very successful. ...Read more
See below: For non-allergic people, simple first aid is good. Remove any stingers by scraping off the stinger, place ice to the area for 20" every hour as needed, use Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for itch and swelling, Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen for pain, wash the area with soap and water, can use antibiotic ointment over area, and make sure tetanus shot is current (within 10 years). If allergic reac, resp probs, etc. - 911! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
See below: Most commonly there is redness, swelling, and warmth at the bite site. The area may also be itchy. And, the size of the involved area tends to increase during the first one to two days. Some people can have very significant swelling, and/or develop an anaphylactic reaction with trouble breathing. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My dad is deathly allergic to bees and wasps but I've never been stung by either. if don't want to find out the hard way. also are allergies genetic? Could I be deathly allergic to bee stings too?
Possibly: Severe allergy to a single thing such as bee stings is not necessarily familial/genetic, but certain families DO have the tendency to be hypersensitive to things (leading to asthma, allergies and eczema). Blood tests are available to see if you also have this tendency towards severe reactions. Ask you doctor about testing for hymenoptera allergies, to be on the safe side. ...Read more
What to do if i just got stung by a bee or a wasp how long does it take to feel allergic reactions?
Immediate: If you are going to have a reaction it is usually immediate. ...Read more
Could use your help docs! my dad is deathly allergic to bees and wasps but i've never been stung by either. Is there a way to know if i am?
See an allergist: who would take careful history, might perform some tests, either blood tests or skin tests, check aaaai.org or acaai.org for an allergist in your area, if you are at high risk of exposure and not sure what to do till you see an allergist, better keep an epinephrine pen handy, ask your doctor about it, gooluck ...Read more
My stepfather is deathly allergic to bees and wasps but i've never been stung by either. Are allergies genetic?
If my two y/o is stung by a wasp/bee, what is the best way to ease the pain quickly? And can he have a topical Benadryl (diphenhydramine) spray? Any other tips? Thanks!
One fast remedy: How about applying a paste made up of a 1 to 1 mix of water and baking soda. It is a very soothing. ...Read more
What do you suggest if my father is deathly allergic to bees and wasps but I've never been stung by either. if don't want to find out the hard way. also are allergies genetic?
Mgt: There are different reactions to bee stings, including reactions that involve other systems, such as the lungs. Allergic tendencies are genetic, but I would suggest discussing specific tests with your PCP. Do you live near wasp or bee nests? Do you hike/camp in an area with a lot of insects? ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I got stung at 12pm by a wasp or bee now its 1am and my foot has swollen and can't walk on it . What can I do im on holidays atm?
in warm water...apply a POULTICE of BAKING SODA (Make a "paste" and apply on the area where the STINGER is probably still lodged...wait until the paste hardens then soak it off> ICE may help both the swelling and the pain so after you do the above use local ice and elevate the foot!Hope this is helpful
Dr Z ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Wasp bee sting
- Wasp sting vs bee sting
- Wasps vs bees sting
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What to put on a bee or wasp sting?
- What to put on bee sting or wasp?
- Bee vs wasp vs hornet sting
- How do you treat a bee sting or wasp sting?
- Treating a bee or wasp sting