Doctor insights on:
Bacterial Vs Viral Conjunctivitis
Pus and edema: Bacterial conjunctivitis is not common in adults but occurs in children more often. I usually will have much more swelling, pus in the cul de sac, and much crusting and debris. Viral conjunctivitis is often bilateral, makes the eyes red all over, and has a clear to yellowish secretion but not pus (which is cloudy white). Your ophthalmologist can make this distinction and given you the best rx. ...Read more
Conjunctivitis is an inflammation of the thin mucous membrane that lines the front surface of the eyeball and the inside of the eyelids. As the inflammation increases, it causes the tiny blood vessels in the conjunctiva to dilate, thus leading to a redness of the eye. Depending on the cause of the conjunctitis there can also be itching, irritation, and discharge ...Read more
It may not be: possible for you to distinguish between the two. ...Read more
Yes: as aboveGet a more detailed answer ›
Most are viral: most conjunctivitis (pink eye) is viral or allergic. The whites of the eyes are red with clear or mucous discharge. In bacterial conjunctivitis, there is little redness and there usually are not cold symptoms. In addition, there is often a thick, yellow pus discharge from the eye. ...Read more
My eye has been having clear discharge and some yellow, with crusting for a day and a half, how do I know if it is bacterial or viral conjunctivitis?
Treatments vary: The symptoms can vary from allergic conjunctivitis to as you state, bacterial or viral conjunctivitis. Usually on slit lamp (microscopy) exam in the office the conjunctival surface and cornea can give us clues. If you have no pain or vision loss, you may want to try an otc allergy drop for a day, since it's sunday. If not better by the monday am, then see your provider in the morning. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Viral conjunctivitis vs bacterial conjunctivitis
- Bacterial vs viral conjunctivitis discharge
- Tell bacterial vs viral conjunctivitis
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Viral vs bacterial conjunctivitis contagious
- Viral vs bacterial conjunctivitis babies
- What is the difference between viral conjunctivitis vs bacterial conjunctivitis?
- Is bacterial or viral conjunctivitis contagious?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free