Doctor insights on:
Bacterial Meningitis Contagious Period
What is the incubation period for bacterial meningitis? Mildly sore neck and headache last night when I look down. Today no headache just sore neck.
Some > than others: Some forms are much more worrisome than others. Meningococcal meningitis is quite contagious and close contacts are routinely given antibiotics to interrupt transmission. Pneumococcal meningitis contacts are not, since the germ is relatively common among normal individuals and it has not been found necessary. ...Read more
Infection: Dont know what you are looking for- giving a general answer. Usually infection from other parts of body may spread to the meninges (the layers surrounding the brain). Infection in blood, infection in parts of body adjacent to the brain like ear, nose, sinus etc. And also if the is some form if manipulation of the meninges (shunt, brain surgery, lumbar puncture), it increases the risk. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Spinal fluid culture: To diagnose bacterial meningitis, typically, a spinal tap is done to remove a small amount of cerebrospinal fluid that surrounds the spinal cord and brain. The fluid is tested for the number of red blood cells, white blood cells, protien, and glucose. Then the fluid is cultured for bacteria which can take up to 3 to 4 days for results. It may also be cultured for viruses and that can take 7 day. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long is bacterial meningitis contagious?
- Meningitis contagious period
- Viral meningitis contagious period
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Bacterial pneumonia contagious period
- What is the incubation period for bacterial meningitis?
- How long is the incubation period for bacterial meningitis?
- Meningitis is it contagious
- Talk to a pediatrician online