Doctor insights on:
At What Stage Is Chorionic Villus Sampling Done
10-12 weeks: Chorionic villus sampling (cvs) obtains cells from the fetoplacenta for testing at 10-12 weeks of pregnancy, amniocentesis obtains fetal skin/urine cells at 16-18 weeks. Higher risks for miscarriage (2-3% for cvs, <0.5% or negligible for amnio) balance against the cvs advantage of testing before a women "shows, " preserving the privacy of pregnancy (testing). ...Read more
MFMs: Maternal fetal medicine specialists usually perform cvs, although there are occasional doctors of other specialties who have been trained to do the procedure. Fellows, who are still in training, may perform the procedure under the supervision of the doctor who is teaching them. ...Read more
Placenta vs fluid: Cvs can usually be done earlier and involves obtaining placental tissue for chromosome analysis. This is done by needle biopsy either through the cervix or abdomen. Amniocentesis is obtaining amniotic fluid for testing also by needle aspiration. Both are done with ultrasound guidance, cvs slightly riskier with bleeding & cramping, both safe to do, both done by mfm docs. I hope that helps. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- At what stage of ovulation is cervical mucus thick and a little chuncky
- At what stage in pregnancy is gender determined
- At what stage is the flu contagious
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- At what stage are teratogens the most dangerous during pregnancy
- What is causing my elbow and knee pain at the same time?
- What stage is an 8 cm tumor in the lung?
- What is a good heart beat rate for male at age 33?
- Talk to a obstetrician and gynecologist online