Doctor insights on:
Protopic: Tacrolimus ointment is used to treat the symptoms of eczema (atopic dermatitis; a skin disease that causes the skin to be dry and itchy and to sometimes develop red, scaly rashes) in patients who cannot use other medications for their condition or whose eczema has not responded to another medication. Tacrolimus is in a class of medications called topical calcineurin inhibitors. It is effective. ...Read more
It can but it can: be very irritating at first. Your derm or doctor should have you mix it with a steroid cream for 1-2 weeks and then it can be used alone. It is not my first line of treatment for Perioral derm, but in recalcitrant cases it can help ...Read more
Yes: Protopic is an immunosuppressive topical medication which can increase the risk of developing skin cancer in sun exposed areas such as the face if used continuously for 2 years. It is recommended that you limit the use to only active flareups and take a break prior to reuse. For some conditions such as psoriasis, a maintenance dose of twice weekly applications are used. See a dermatologist. ...Read more
Anti-inflammatory: Acts as a mid-strength cortisone but not a cortisone. Especially useful for eyelid eczema. Very effective with no risk of cataracts or glaucoma or perioral dermatitis. Also used for chronic genital conditions because it does not cause atrophy. Recently generic, the rediculous price may come down next year. Not a cream, only ointment. 2 strengths, for children and adults. ...Read more
Protopic Ointment: As an ointment (protopic), tacrolimus is used in the treatment of eczema, particularly atopic dermatitis. It suppresses inflammation in a similar way to steroids, and is equally as effective as a mid-potency steroid. An important advantage of tacrolimus is that unlike steroids, it does not cause skin thinning (atrophy), or other steroid related side-effects. Yes, it can be used on the neck. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long does fever associated with strep throat last?
- How long does diarrhea associated with common cold last?
- How long does rash associated with food allergies last?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does rash associated with strep throat last?
- How long does vaginal discharge associated with pregnancy last?
- How long does fatigue associated with the flu last?
- How long does rash associated with hand foot mouth last?
- Talk to a dermatologist online