Doctor insights on:
Are You Born With Narcolepsy Or Can You Get It Later In Life
Not born with it: Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that usually develops over the teenage years. It is likely autoimmune related. There are rare situation when narcolepsy occurs in multiple sclerosis, trauma or brain tumor. Narcolepsy is caused in most patients by a "hypocretin" deficiency in the hypothalamus. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: Narcolepsy is a genetic abnormality and can occur in multiple family members although many single isolated cases also occur. Symptoms generally begin in adolescence. There are tests that can be done to see if you have the genetic susceptibility to narcolepsy, but they don't necessarily indicate you have the condition. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
A little sleepy: Most of the time i guess?Get a more detailed answer ›
Probably not: Inadequate sleep can cause lots of symptoms: fatigue, irritability, headaches, memory and attention problems, increased accidents, etc. The symptoms resolve with adequate sleep. Narcolepsy is a chronic medical condition which is associated with excessive daytime sleepiness, sleep paralysis, vivid dreams, and sudden drop attacks associated with strong emotion. The epworth sleepiness scale can help. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Does narcolepsy and cataplexy usually get worse over time? Is rapid change in severity over 12 months normal?
Can you have narcolepsy but rarely get sleep attacks? I usually can feel it coming and lie down to sleep, but i meet all the other criteria.
Yes: Yes. You can still have narcolepsy and not have significantly evident abrupt sleep intrusions, but usually this is when treated. If you feel sleepiness coming on and are able to go lie down, likely excessive daytime sleepiness. Need a sleep study then an mslt (napping test). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is dyslexia something you are born with or is it something that can be develop?
- How can you get color blindness if you are not born with it?
- Can you get sickle cell anemia by kissing or having sex with someone with it?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can you get scoliosis later in life?
- Can you reverse the effects of toxoplasmosis on a child if they are born with it?
- Can you get club feet that develop later in life?
- Can you get amoxicillin rash after you are no longer taking it?
- Talk to a pediatrician online