Doctor insights on:
Are There Side Effects Of Daily Laxative Use
What's your concern?: Are you seeking a short term fix for constipation, or a product that can be taken safely for a long time period (; for what indication)? What side effects concern you (there is no laxative that is without some)? What is the underlying cause of your bowel problem--i recommend that be addressed first (before you resort to self medication) so the correct approach or treatment can be started. ...Read more
Is there a laxative that can be taken all the time without the bad side effects and risk of dependency?
Find the problem...: I would definitely recommend to find out why do you need to take a laxative on a daily basis. If you are constipated and persist with symptoms you should see a gastroenterologist for more evaluation. Using laxatives for any other reason on a daily basis is not advised.If you want to stay regular a high fiber diet with fruits and veggies along with plenty of water should help. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Does MiraLax count as a laxative? If someone took MiraLax everyday, what would the side effects be? Could this cause permanent damage?
What's the concern?: Miralax is a generally safe, non-systemic lavage agent, intended to assist with laxation. Your voiced concern makes me question: for what symptoms has it been prescribed to you, what is the intended dose & duration of use, what have you tried before, what tests have been run prior to starting the product, what other symptoms do you have (weight loss, bleeding, pain), what's the underlying disease? ...Read more
About 8 hours: About 8 hours.Get a more detailed answer ›
SideEffects of abuse: "irritant" purgatives cause: melanosis coli (reversible pigmenting of colon lining), cathartic colon ("floppy" colon with limited muscle tone), & soap or chemical colitis (acute inflammation within hours of "cleansing" enema). Abusers get chronic diarrhea, crampy abdominal pain, edema, nausea/vomiting, muscle weakness, bone pain, lassitude, kidney stones, skin changes, kidney disease, dehydration. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are there any long term side effects of staph infections?
- Are there any dangerous long term side effects of taking penis growing tablets?
- Are there any side effects of eating poppy seeds?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are there any bad side effects of consuming apple cider vinegar?
- Are there any major side effects of stent placement?
- Are there any side effects of drinking green tea taking biotin?
- Are there any common side effects of simultaneously taking benedryl and adderall?
- Talk to a gastroenterologist online