Doctor insights on:
Are There Side Effects For Thrombolytic Therapy
Bleeding: There are risks associated with tpa. Complications include bleeding into the brain, other types of serious bleeding (e.g., gastrointestinal), and death. It is important to weigh the possibility of benefit against the possibility of harm. In most cases tpa is safe and makes a positive impact on the outcome in stroke patients. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
"Clot buster": These are medications that can be given to patients so as to break up blood clots in the lungs, heart, or for strokes and leg clots. These are utilised in situations where improving blood flow to the affected organs is critical. Examples include tpa, streptokinase, etc. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Disolve a blood clot: An ischemic stroke is caused by a blood clot blocking a major artery in the brain. The effect of t-pa is to dissolve clots so that blood flow can be restored and viable brain tissue may be saved. T-pa, when introduced into the systemic circulation, binds to the fibrin protein threads of a thrombus and converts the enmeshed plasminogen to plasmin, initiating local fibrinolysis. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Stroke and MI: Thrombolytic therapy is the urgent application of drugs/enzymes that break down blood clots, mainly in arteries to slow down or stop the progression of heart attacks and strokes. Blocked dialysis shunts are also sometimes treated with such medications. Since busting the clot allows blood to flow freely downstream, damage to vital tissue is reduced or sometimes totally halted. ...Read more
Probably: Thrombosis of veins results in an inflammatory response (phlebitis), and this will result in alteration of the vein wall with remodeling and this can result in shrinkage or dilation of the wall. The remaining thrombus present will result in web-like scarring within the vein narrowing the lumen and reducing the diameter. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the side effects of icy hot for arthritis therapy?
- What are the side effects of the radiation therapy for eye cancer?
- Are there any side effects of taking flush free niacin 500 mg for a lifetime?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are there any side effects to the ultrasound they do for ivh?
- Are there bad side effects for drinking too much soy milk?
- Are there any side effects i can expect taking topamax for migraines?
- Are there negative side effects for digestive enzymes?
- Talk to a emergency medicine specialist online for free