Doctor insights on:
Are There Racial Differences In Regards To Celiac Disease
In Celiac disease the body reacts to gluten (in wheat and gluten like proteins in rye and barley) in the small intestine causing damage. This limits the intestine's ability to absorb some nutrients. Classically people have loose stool, bloating, and abdominal discomfort but more often are just found when screened for other reasons (like symptoms of a nutritional deficiency like ...Read more
Yes: Because celiac disease is hereditary, the disease occurs more often in certain ethnic/racial groups because more people in those groups carry the hla-dq2 and hla-dq8 genes that "cause" celiac disease. The genes are more common in persons from northern and western europe, but are uncommon in western pacific rim populations (china, japan). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
The same thing: Both terms mean the same thing.Get a more detailed answer ›
Celiac vs IBS: Celiac is an autoimmune disease (not a food allergy) where the IgA antibody is directed against the cells that break down gluten...So u become intolerant. Ibs is a wastebasket term when there are GI related issues (diarrhea, bloating, etc.) that does not have a true clinical diagnosis based on looking for other GI diseases. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Same: The two are the same for all practical purposes. ...Read more
Very different: Celiac disease is an allergy to a protein found in wheat called gluten. It can be associated with abnormal liver tests but usually is associated with anemia, diarrhea or other intestinal issues. Autoimmune hepatitis is a disease affecting the liver caused by an overactive immune system. Both are likely genetically predetermined but not generally related to each other. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are there nationality differences in regards to celiac disease?
- What differences are there in megaloblastic anemia and pernicious anemia?
- Are there any alternative treatments to use in place of prednisone?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What guidelines are given in regards to intensity and frequency to improve muscular strength?
- Are there surgeries to repair eye injury in the fovea centralis?
- Are there methods to control the spread of liver flukes in humans?
- Are there steps i can take to prevent getting fibrocystic breast disease?
- Talk to an allergist online for free