Doctor insights on:
Are There Medicinal Uses For Poison Ivy Or Poison Oak
Sort of.: An ointment of equal parts poison ivy vine, prickly ash bark, and alfalfa seeds is supposed to be good for arthritis. I donít know if it works, and i suggest you don't try to find out; there are many safer alternatives. Poison ivy is also used in homeopathic treatments, which are supposed to stimulate the body's defenses. Of course, there are conflicting claims about whether homeopathy works. ...Read more
What can I do for poison ivy or poison oak . Got Medicean from the dr but I think it's getting worse. It has spread up my leg an is very swollen ?
Get it seen by a doc: The problem in this scenario, is that without seeing what is going on with your leg, the process can be either a dermatologic reaction to the poison ivy or oak (then steroids are ok), or more seriously, a secondary bacterial infection causing cellulitis due to scratching the typically itchy rash caused by the plants (then antibiotics are needed). ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
How can you tell the rash of poison ivy or poison oak? Are they contagious and how does it last? And how long does it itch?
Steroids: These reactions represent a contact allergy, and can be quite severe. The affected area needs to be washed thoroughly, and topical steroid creams can be applied. You can start with 1% Hydrocortisone from the drug store, but a more potent prescription cream will probably be necessary. In severe cases, oral Prednisone my be required. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: Poison ivy (in eastern us), oak (in western us), sumac (in eastern us) are 3 species in the genus toxicodendron or rhus which all produce urushiol oil, the substance that in sensitive individuals produces contact dermatitis. Urushiol is very stable and can be blown on leaf particles into contact with the skin or carried on clothing for over a year so dermatitis can occur without plant contact. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the best treatment for previously exposed to poison oak or poison ivy?
- What is the best treatment for recently exposed to poison oak or poison ivy?
- Remedies for previously exposed to poison oak or poison ivy
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Home remedies for poison ivy or poison oak
- Home remedies treatments for men with poison oak or ivy
- Treatment for poison ivy on penis is steroid cream ok to use
- Are there any long term effects of poison ivy exposure?
- Talk to a dermatologist online