Doctor insights on:
Are There Exercises You Can Do To Slowly Correct A Funnel Chest
Understand Pectus: It is important to understand what 'funnel chest' is, also known as pectus excavatum. A comprehensive review about the subject can be found at: http://emedicine.Medscape.Com/article/1004953-overview review of surgical treatment: http://emedicine.Medscape.Com/article/1970203-overview. ...Read more
Yes: Pectus excavatum can recur after surgical repair. This is particularly true when the repair is done before puberty. For this reason, most repairs are now done around 14 years of age. The overall recurrence rate is somewhere between 1-3% and is higher in patients with underlying connective tissue diseases. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Funnel chest: Funnel chest is a genetic or embryonic variation in rib cage and sternum developement. There is nothing you can do about its development, which will just run its own course. It is usually just a cosmetic problem and rarely causes symptoms. The best thing you can do if you are having any symptoms from it (like exercise intolerance) is to exercise more (conditioning). ...Read more
Yes...to both.: While most infants are born with definitive features of funnel chest--also known as pectus excavatum--others may not develop to a point of concern until months or years later. There has been much meaningful research on the surgical treatment of the funnel chest lately. If you have not contacted a pediatric surgeon recently about this you should call soon. Are you near john hopkins hospitals? ...Read more
No: Pectus excavatum is the fancy medical term for this condition. For most individuals it is only a cosmetic problem. Rarely does it interfere significantly with heart or lung function. Several surgical approaches can be done. No know exercises have been shown to be of any value. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
I'm mid-40s and only just discovered I have funnel chest. In the past, docs told me not to worry about it when I asked what it was. Now I'm concerned!
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are there physical therapy activities you can do at home to heal a broken knee?
- Can you tell me if there are exercises i can do to improve my leg claudication?
- What are some exercises you can do to get a higher vertical leap?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is there anythhing you can do to help a bone heal more quickly?
- Are there any stretching exercises i can do to help my ankle arthritis?
- Can you have a cytology done to see if there are cancer cells in urine?
- Are there rehab exercises can i do for a torn acl?
- Talk to a holistic medicine practitioner online for free