Doctor insights on:
Are There Certain Activities That Make Pectus Excavatum Worse
NO: Pectus ex. Is a congenital deformity of the chest wall. If you build up your pec muscles the severity of the deformity may appear to be greater merely because the muscle is enlarged but it does not make the structural deformity worse. ...Read more
A bit: It may deepen so long as a child is growing. The repair has improved significantly, implanting a titanium rod that lifts up like an umbrella, eliminating the pectus. I referred a 9-year-old last year to an experienced pediatric thoracic surgeon last year, The repair took less than two hours and she recovered uneventfully without unusual pain. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Possibly: Pectus excavatum is a sunken sternum caused by abnormal growth backwards of your costal cartilages, which connect your ribs to the sternum. This can get worse to varying degress over time, but usually slows down once your growth (in height) slows down. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No...: Pectus excavatum is mostly a cosmetic issue. Some studies suggest that shortness of breath can be related to having a pectus, but repairs do little to change the symptoms that people have. That said, you can see a thoracic surgeon to help find out if a pectus repair is something you would like to have done. ...Read more
My pectus excavatum suddenly got worse, is it dangerous? I am slumping doing computer work all day.
I've been to the doctor and I have moderate pectus excavatum but now it hurts...Is it getting worse?
Possibly: If the diagnosis of "moderate" pectus excavatum was made without imaging, get a chest x-ray or CT to quantify your Haller index. This is the ratio used to determine severity. Pain is a common symptom of PE, and yours could be worsening. If it is worsening, treatment options would include surgical repair or non-operative therapy with a vacuum bell. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
17 yr old wanting to know if pectus excavatum will get any worse? Am I able to prevent it from getting worse? I am 1.78m tall.
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are there any factors that will make jet lag worse?
- Are there any medications that can make gerd worse?
- Are there any medications that can make rls worse?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are there certain foods that can make my dysphagia easier to handle?
- Are there certain things that make getting chlamydia infections more likely?
- Are there any stds that can make your penis bleed?
- Are there any stds that can make your vagina bleed?
- Talk to a thoracic surgeon online for free