Doctor insights on:
Are There Any Side Effects To Taking A Calcium Supplement
A dietary supplement, also known as food supplement or nutritional supplement, is a preparation intended to supplement the diet and provide nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals, fiber, fatty acids, or amino acids, that may be missing or may not be consumed in sufficient quantities in a person's diet. Some countries define dietary supplements as foods, while ...Read more
Multiple: The body needs calcium to maintain strong bones. However, supplemental calcium can also contribute to calcification of arteries which can lead to strokes and heart attacks. Speak to your physician about how to best meet your calcium needs without increasing your risks. Natural sources of calcium are usually the safest. ...Read more
Is the supplement shark cartilage an alternative to calcium, and are there any side effects to be aware of?
Usually none: Most people can regulate calcium absorption so as to fit their skeletal needs. There are others who develop excessive absorption with consequent increase in urine calcium creating a risk for kidney stones. This is particularly true if you take more than 800 units of vitamin d per day. ...Read more
No: You don't need to take extra calcium if you have osteoarthritis of the joints. If ,however, there is some indication that you have some osteoporosis then calcium may be needed. The two conditions are completely different. There is some information that suggests glucosamine sulfate might be helpful (but this perspective is not shared by everybody ) . Your pharmacist can give you more information ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are there any side effects to taking a probiotic supplement?
- Side effects of taking a vitamin d and calcium supplement
- Any side effects when taking iodine supplements with spironolactone
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are there any side effects to taking biotin?
- Are there any side effects to taking melatonin?
- Are there any side effects to taking glutathione?
- Side effects of taking calcium tablets
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free