Doctor insights on:
Are There Any Medications I Should Take Before A Bone Marrow Biopsy
A bone marrow biopsy is taken from the pelvic bone. A coring needle is advanced into the bone, which allows one to extract a sliver of the bone marrow, the red part of the bone. It is cut and viewed under a microscope. A bone marrow aspirate, obtained with a syringe, is usually bone at the same time. These are done to diagnose blood problems or to check for tumors in ...Read more
Is a bone biopsy painful? I'm nervous about my upcoming bone marrow biopsy. Is it painful? What sort of pain medication is used?
I'm an 18 year old male with severe thrombocytopenia and anemia discovered on a cbc. Bone marrow biopsy was normal. Cat was normal. No viruses. No offending drugs. No lupus. Any ideas of a diagnosis?
Yes.: Unless its being done under general anesthesia, you should eat and drink (including alcohol) as you would as part of your normal routine. If you are having a general anesthesia, you should take nothing by mouth for 8 hours prior to the procedure. If you are on blood thinners, check with your prescribing doctor to see if its okay to stop these to avoid excessive bleeding at the biopsy site. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Biopsy is tissue removed by needle or cutting to remove part of a body part. It is usually a small amount of material that is processed by a pathologist. Most of the time it is stained and looked at through a microscope to arrive at a diagnosis. Special processes are done for some tissues or problems. The purpose is to tell what the problem is (diagnosis). ...Read more
Bone marrow is the flexible tissue found in the interior of bones. In humans, red blood cells are produced in the heads of long bones, in a process known as hematopoesis. On average, bone marrow constitutes 4% of the total body mass of humans; in an adult weighing 65 kilograms (140 lb), bone marrow accounts for approximately ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Should you drink the night before a bone marrow biopsy
- Are there any medications for glaucoma that you should take before flying?
- Is there any disadvantage of having bone marrow biopsy?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Will i be put to sleep for a bone marrow aspiration or biopsy
- Why do i need a bone marrow biopsy?
- Are there any medications i should avoid if i have pheochromocytoma?
- How long does it take to get the bone marrow biopsy results?
- Talk to a pathologist online for free