Doctor insights on:
Are There Any Long Term Effects Of Poison Ivy Exposure
Yes: Occasionally, people who have reacted to poison oak will begin to have allergic reactions to fruits in the same plant family. Poison oak, poison ivy, mango, cashew, and pistachio all belong to the plant family "anacardiaceae". A reaction to poison oak can lead to future reactions to mangoes. So, it is best to avoid poison oak and poison ivy, even if one has never suffered a reaction previously. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Not related: Poison ivy is a different type of allergy. It is a rash that starts 12-24 hours after it touches your skin and worsens up to 48 hours later. It does not usually cause anaphylaxis . Those who are sensitive have activated their immune cells to kill any of your skin cells that have been contaminated by touching the oils of the plant. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Itchy rash: Typically one gets a very itchy blistering rash in the areas which contacted the poison ivy. But one can even transfer the oils to other parts of the body if not careful. Scratching makes things worse so don't do it! some people don't react; they're very lucky! and if you wash the oils off quickly (within 15 minutes), you may not react. Use cool water and good gentle soap. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
How long after poison ivy/urushiol exposure can rash develop? I keep getting new spots despite having thoroughly washed everything, including the dog.
Possibly: It is unusual to have a rash from taking just one medication for the first time since allergic reaction requires prior sensitization from a previous exposure. On the other hand, i just heard a presentation last week in a meeting that certain drugs can cause immune response in some individuals with certain genetic background (hla markers) with the first exposure. However Cialis was not studied. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Husband broke out in poison ivy rash today, exposure either yesterday or this morning. 5 mo. old son at home, what precautions should we take?
Shaking, nausea and almost loss of consciousness after wide spread poison ivy rash even days after initial exposure. Is that something to be worried?
Yes, Doc ASAP: Severe and widespread poison ivy reactions may be nearly as bad as having a 3rd degree burn making you susceptible to infection. You need to be properly hydrated and treated. See a doctor ASAP. Be sure that all items potentially exposed be cleaned with a laundry detergent (wear glove if you are doing it) to avoid further exposure to the resin. ...Read more
Back in the fall i had poison ivy on my left arm. I now have a red rash the shape of the rash i had and it itches. Can it come back? Without exposure?
It is not contagious: I agree w dr. Chiu. Urushiol (offending chemical in poison ivy) remains potent for over a year. So it is imperattive that you wash any tools, clothes, boots, etc that have been in contact with ivy. Wash skin asap. There are specific products that you can buy that will wash the urushiol off very effectively. You can also use rubbing alcohol to remove the urushiol. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
What happens if you were to breathe poison ivy smoke, how long would the symptoms take to show. Would it be hours?
Lung irritation: Burning poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac releases an oil, urushiol, when the leaf or other plant parts are bruised, damaged. It can be very dangerous because the allergens can be inhaled, causing lung irritation. It can cause adult respiratory distress syndrome that can result in death. There are special respirators for workers that may be exposed (e.g. Fire fighters). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Poison ivy rashes: Those are contact dermatitis rashes due to contact with the oil (urushiol) found in all parts of the plant. The more oil you come to contact with the more symptoms you get ranging from simple skin redness to blistering lesions. If untreated, it lasts anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks. It would last longer if your skin is more severe e.g. Blister forming. Oral or topical steroid hasten the healing. ...Read more
Poison ivy: Signs and symptoms of a poison ivy rash include: redness, itching, swelling, blisters, often, the rash looks like a straight line because of the way the plant brushes against the skin. But if you come into contact with a piece of clothing or pet fur that has urushiol on it, the rash may be more spread out. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Usually a week or so: For most cases, the rash should subside within a couple of weeks provided there is no further contact. Topical steroid hastens the recovery. The most important step would be washing all objects which might have touched the ivy with laundry detergent . Else the ivy resin will keep on causing problems for many months to come. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Posion ivy : Poison ivy symptoms normally begin 12-48 hours after contact with the plant oils and can last 2-3 weeks! Often the rash gets worse before it gets better. If the rash persists beyond 2-3 weeks or you develop oozing blisters, pus or fever see a Dr as the skin may have become infected requiring antibiotics. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Long term effects of poison ivy
- Effects of long term exposure to mold
- Long term effects of agent orange exposure
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are there any long term side effects of staph infections?
- Are there any long term effects to taking zyrtec everyday?
- Long term exposure to mold
- Poison ivy effects
- Talk to a dermatologist online