Doctor insights on:
Are There Any Alternative Cures Other Than Antibiotics To Take For A Uti
Not that work: Alternative cures are a myth. Antibiotics are effective with very few side effects. Drinking plenty of water plus urinating every couple of hours can enhance antibiotic effect. Neither probiotics nor cranberry juice, extract, cocktail or capsules have been shown effective in curing utis. Claims that such supplements are effective are bogus. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
A urinary tract infection (often called UTI) is most commonly caused by bacteria and usually refers to an infection in the bladder. Not all bacteria that grows from the urine represents an infection, so the need for antibiotics is determined by your ...Read more
Is it safe to take antibiotics for uti (infection)along with homeopathic medicines(natural herbs)to cure the disease ?
Would avoid: If you truly have a urinary tract infection (bacteria and white cells in the urine) and your doctor has prescribed an appropriate antibiotic, I would suggest you avoid taking homeopathic medications. While probably benign, some herbal medications can interact with antibiotics and impair absorption or metabolism. Take the antibiotics as prescribed and recheck with your doctor when completed. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I have been on antibiotic for 1 1/2 days for severe uti. How long does it take for antibiotics to work?
Within a day: Great question. Since uti's are painful, effective therapy can alleviate this symptom within a day. However, other symptoms, depending on the severity of infection, may take up to a week (fever, malaise) or so to abate (eg.Flank pain).If symptoms smolder, inform your prescriber immedately- antibiotics may need to be adjusted. Hopefully, a urine culture was intially done to guide antibiotic choice. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Many Different Ones: Most commonly: Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin macrocrystals), Bactrim or septra (trimethoprim/sulfa) or Cipro (ciprofloxacin). Less often: amoxicillin, augmentin, suprax, keflex, cefepime, omnipen, gentamicin. A number of others are used if the bacteria are resistant to the all of the above. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
48 hrs: 48 hrs if taken oral.Get a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are there any other alternatives to tamoxifen for breast cancer?
- Are there any other options than surgery for a branchial cleft cyst?
- Are there any options other than a shunt to help with hydrocephalus?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why does it take so long for antibiotics to cure a prostate infection?
- How long does it take for a uti to clear up with antibiotics?
- Are there any natural alternatives to clobex shampoo for scalp psorasis?
- Are there any approved treatments for fibromyalgia other than lyrica?
- Talk to a gynecologist online for free